Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: rNo period and my baby is 9 months old

Default rNo period and my baby is 9 months old

My little girl is nearly 9 months old and is still full time breastfeeding, waking every 3 hours during the night to feed, most nights she co sleeps as it is easier.

I am concerned that my periods have not yet returned although I am aware that full time breastfeeding can cause this to happen. with my first child I only breastfed full time for the first 3 weeks, and made the classic mistake of not taking enough precautions and now only have 12 months between my two children. This has been good in some respects and not in others!!!

When my second child was about 3 months old I started getting heartburn, a previous sign of pregnancy for me, I waited about a month before doing a test, which was negative so I have tried to relax and not think about it. My periods still have not returned!!!

Has anyone else had similar experiences and should I be worried? Is the nightfeeding likely to have suppressed ovulation?

Default Re: rNo period and my baby is 9 months o

It's very normal not to get your period back for months and months while breastfeeding. The average time until return of fertility for a nursing mom is around 15 months, though many women get their cycles back much sooner than that (as you did the first time round) and many others will not get their periods for much longer than 15 months. Some won't get a period until their babies are completely weaned.

Night nursing is probably a large part of why your cycles haven't returned yet. When you nurse at frequent intervals both day and night, your prolactin (the hormone that causes you to produce milk) levels stay high and prolactin causes your estrogen levels to stay relatively low, and when your estrogen is low, ovulation is less likely to occur.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Very common However, now that your baby is over 6 months and probably eating some solids, you should not rely on lactational amenorrhea for birth control alone. Coupled with fertility awareness method, though, or barrier methods, it is a powerful way to naturally and easily space your children out in time.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Yep. Normal. My period did not return for over a year. It's nerve-racking, isn't it?
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

Still no period here!
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09

I didn't have a period until I stopped nursing/pumping - 12 months after DS was born.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

I didn't get mine until #1 was 21 months.
    ETA: I peed on lots of sticks because I was always certain I was pg
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Thanks to all of you for your advice, and yes it is a little nerve racking, always got that thought at the back of your mind that you might be expecting again!!! As much as I love my two, I am happy to stop at two and devote my time to their happy up bringing. [/B]