Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 Month Old Baby Refusing to Nurse

Default 9 Month Old Baby Refusing to Nurse

My 9 month old baby boy has decided within the last several days that he rarely wants to nurse. He outright refuses my breast and most of the time if he does try nursing, he quits after a few sucks. Obviously, no let-down can even happen in that time period. I am so frustrated I don't know what to do. He WILL nurse first thing in the morning, and I can get let-down at that time. But he mostly refuses the rest of the day. I have been trying to pump during the day so I don't lose my milk, but I'm not getting any let-down at all, so I can only get about 2 ounces each time. My son will attempt to nurse at night right before bed but gets frustrated and upset and gives up before I can ever achieve let-down. He has also been refusing a bottle of breast milk most of the time.

Up to now, he has been a wonderful nurser. I have not had much trouble getting let-down in the past. He also has always been willing to take a bottle from other people when necessary. I am getting so stressed about him getting enough fluids and me keeping my milk supply.

As far as I can tell, he is not sick. He is getting two top teeth but neither has broken through yet. His appetite in general seems smaller at mealtimes. Should I cut out solid foods until he starts nursing again? Why can I not get let-down anymore during pumping sessions?? I am determined to see him through this since I want to nurse him at least a year. Can anyone help?

Default Re: 9 Month Old Baby Refusing to Nurse

Here is some information on dealing with nursing strikes.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Are you SURE you are not pregnant? :gibes Since even pumping has become difficult that makes me wonder....
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

We had a similar situation with my first AF. It wasn't an all out strike- but I had a hard time getting a letdown and he was very frustrated. He and I both cried. He is used to OALD and couldn't handle waiting. We got through it and everything was back to normal by day 2 of my period. I started a calcium/ mag supplement and that helped for the next month. Also More Milk Plus for the few days before helps...
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

I'm pretty sure I'm not pg. My husband had a vasectomy several months ago, and we are using condoms right now in addition. My only thought is that my milk supply is down for some reason. I can't seem to achieve let-down at all right now except while nursing my son first thing in the morning. I have just started Fenugreek, 3 capsules, 3 times a day in hopes I can up my milk supply. Since I don't know what might be going on with my baby (why he is reluctant to nurse), I am doing what I can to improve my own possible issues.

I did read somewhere that nursing strikes occur for many dif reasons, one of which could be a dramatic reaction to a baby biting during nursing. My baby did bite me recently (accidentally) and it took me by surprise so much that I sucked in my breath dramatically and squealed a bit. He's def not used to reactions like that from me. I didn't scold him at all, but my reaction startled him so much that he burst into tears. I don't know if he could be reluctant to nurse for fear of that reaction again? If he gets hungry enough, he will attempt to suck for maybe 10 seconds and then quits and won't go back. Last night I had to give him a bottle (which he took, surprisingly) because he wanted to nurse at bedtime but I could never get let-down at all. So frustrating. I'm hoping for some kind of breakthrough today...his willingness to nurse, a successful nurse with let-down or at the very least a pumping session with let-down. Wish me luck!

I wasn't aware that your menstrual cycle can effect your milk supply. What does the calcium/mag supplement do?

Nursing strike is over! It must have been a result of teething in combo with waning milk supply. Strike lasted a week. The Fenugreek I started taking has helped wonderfully. No longer have any prob getting let-down and my son is happy as a clam nursing again. So glad I/we made it through!

I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting