Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Latch on difficulties... any tips

Question Latch on difficulties... any tips

I have a 3 week old daughter and I started breastfeeding right after her birth. I tried for a week or so until my nipples got really sore and cracked, due to a bad latch, so I started pumping exclusively until they healed. A couple of days ago I tried to go back to feeding her from the breast but it seems that I'm having the same problems as before and getting sore again. My daughter starts the feeding with a good latch but during the feeding it seems like her mouth gets tired, then starts sucking on the nipple. Any tips?

Default Re: Latch on difficulties... any tips

Welcome crmuro, and congratulations on your new daughter!

I'm sorry to hear you and your baby are struggling with a latch problem and nipple trauma. This is a very common problem with newborns, but it's really hard to "fix" it over the internet. Have you worked in person with a LLL Leader or an IBCLC? If so, how did that go, and would you consider going back?

It sounds to me like you know you need to maintain a deeper latch so she keeps more than the nipple in your mouth. Sometimes attention to positioning can help, so that the baby is kept close enough to you and high enough up that she doesn't have to make any effort to keep the breast close. Your breast may need to be support with a rolled up cloth to make it more stable and less heavy for you both. Or there may be something more complex going on with her tongue or palate.

How are her diapers and weight gain? And were you having problems with the latch before she got any bottles or pacifiers?

Let's see if we can help you figure out what your resources are, but I do urge you to seek in-person help from someone who is skilled in lactation support (a LLL Leader or IBCLC).

Yeah, we had the problem before the bottle and pacifiers. I haven't talked to a LLL Leader or an IBCLC, but I would like to. I'm looking into finding lation support in my area.

I think your probably right though about positioning and support... because I have trouble supporting her while she's at the breast. I'll try to support her better and see if that helps the problem. Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it.

For a few days after birth, this was happening to us too- mainly where she would get "lazy" it seemed like, and she would change her latch and all of a sudden would be sucking on the end of the nipple. What helped me was to take it out each time and retry and retry to get her latched on. The crossover hold was the best position for me to get her to latch on- and sometimes I would have to wait for her to cry (I know it sounds awful) but that is the only way she would open her mouth big enough for me to get the correct amount of areola in. Soon she got out of the habit.

Yeah, it does seem like my daughter gets lazy too and then just starts sucking on the nipple. But I'll have to try taking her off and putting her back on. Thanks for the advice!

Smile Re: Latch on difficulties... any tips

I also have a newborn and am struggling slightly with the latchon... i often have to wait until she cries to get enough in that it doesnt hurt... i think we are slowly getting better at it... as everyone keeps saying to me... just stick with it because there were many times i was getting ready to throw in the towel... good luck!