Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9 month old STILL nursing all NIGHT??

Default 9 month old STILL nursing all NIGHT??

My DD just turned 9 months old. We have been co-sleeping since day 1 but I am starting to regret it! She still wakes up ALL night long to nurse. She acts like a newborn at night?! She's very healthy and advanced, starting walking at 7 months, she talks and plays all day but the nights are so exhausting. My friend told me she would sleep through the night when I stop bfeeding. I feel like she doesn't know how to stay asleep on her own without a boob in her mouth. I thought for sure we'd be able to get at least 4-5 hours but nope, we are up every 1-2 hours. Although she falls asleep once she starts sucking, it interupts my sleep constantly....just tired, and frustrated.

Default Re: 9 month old STILL nursing all NIGHT?

You must be tired, mama.

Weaning won't make a baby sleep through the night. Infant sleep cycles are short and their waking phases are more profound thatpn those of adults, so some degree of night-waking is normal. It tends to be particularly bad when the baby is mastering some new developmental milestone, like walking, and when teething is going on.

I suggest checking out Elizabeth Pantley's book "The No Cry Sleep Solution" for some gentle, breastfeeding-friendly advice on how to get a baby to sleep more independently without resorting to harsh cry-it-out methods.

Couple of things to try, for now:
    -place a rolled-up towel in between you and the baby at night, to cushion her from your movements
    -pacifier
    -move baby into her own sleep space?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

We co-sleep and nurse a lot at night still. He is also 9 months. I don't feel comfortable night weaning before a year but if I am still so completely sleep deprived at 12 months I may consider Jay Gordon's nightweaning plan, in which you can maintain the family bed. It does help that my son has a pacifier and likes it. He wakes up, snacks, takes the paci and goes back to sleep. One thing that really helps me immensely is napping with him during the day. He is an excellent napper- 2 2 hour naps. And my toddler will take one nap at the same time as him. I feel your pain though. With co-sleeping it makes night nursing easier. BUT by 9 months of it you finally start to suffer sleep-wise....
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

My bottlefed baby still wakes at night too so your friend is WRONG.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I have friends with 9 month olds that wake at night, so yeah totally agree!
    And I do think he needs to eat at night a couple of times. It's the cluster feeding from 2-6 am straight that is exhausting!
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

I've been there, mama. It's hard, but it passes. Hang in there.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Mama, my little man is 20 months old and still wakes at night for a few minutes to nurse. I also co-sleep so it keeps me sane as I know I'd rather have him fall back asleep nursing, than getting up to get him out of his bed every night. Hang in there mama, it might be teething, or growth spurt where your LO's sleep schedule is being interrupted by that ever changing and growing body. Take care, and it does get easier!
    Married to my superman 4-26-08
    Mommy to Landon 1-29-2010, who nursed for 4 years!
    Mommy to DD Sadie born May 2nd, 2014 and nursing like a champ!

We all love and

My LO has been doing the same, she's 8 months and been getting up every 2 hours. She goes to bed at 7, and then it's once or twice before midnight, and then usually about 2-3 more times before she wakes up at 6.

From what I've read, yes, they do wake often, but it's "teaching" them to fall back asleep, just as us adults do. Of course, that's easier said than done, because when I hear her crying and she's standing in her crib, and I know she just wants to nurse, and I'm tired, it's so easy to just pick her up, nurse for a few minutes, and then we all go back to bed. I keep thinking it will pass, or hoping

and she no longer will take the pacifier. She used to love it, not she spits it out unless she's awake and using it to teethe. Wish I had advice for you, but at least you know your not alone.

Can you try putting DD in her crib? At my DD 4 month I switched her forom my bed to her crib and the first couple of nights she woke every two three hours but then after a week I started getting longer stretches. We have been at it for two and half weeks now and she will give me 7 hours most of the week.
    born 8lbs 12oz 21 inches
    Left hospital after c/s 8lbs 6 oz
    1 week old- 8lbs 6 oz
    2 weeks old- 8lbs 11 oz
    1 month- 9lbs 11 oz
    2 months 8/2/11- 12lbs 5 oz
    3 months- 14lbs even
    4 months-16lbs even
    6 months- 18lbs 6oz
    8 months-21lbs on home scale
    9 months-22lbs and 13 ouz
    11 months- ?
    12th months June 2
    Can't believe I have made it 11 1/2 months of nursing!!

Unfortunately she won't take a paci or a bottle (i tried to pump to make DH get up once in awhile) she just wants me. I may try the crib again soon but we haven't had much luck with that. I was just hoping that by now we'd get a little better sleep and it's taking longer than I planned for. I plan on weaning at one year but by the looks of things, she may not be on my schedule!!