Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: bad day or is something wrong?

Default bad day or is something wrong?

My six week old daughter is refusing to nurse or is nursing very little. I am not sure what to do....she either completely refuses the breast or takes it for only a few minutes....I have resisted giving her the bottle and after about 30 mins of crying she will finally take it for about 8 mins tops. She will sometimes latch right away but it is usually lasts for about 5 mins. Even after the short amount of time my breasts do feel lighter. I am not sure if she is getting enough even though her diaper out put is okay. I did notice that sometimes my let down is forceful and today an yesterday it has not seemed so. I even tried to express milk to see if there was milk on my nipple if that would make her more interested but it didn't necessarily help or hinder enough that I could be sure she even noticed. Could she be emptying the breast that quickly? She normally nurses for about 15 mins on one side each feeding...yesterday and today I did offer the other side with lasted about 3 mins and then yesterday she had a greenish yellow bm but today it was back to the normal mustard yellow color. Or could she be not hungry? She did spit up a minor amount today which she never does. I would love your opinions and just to be sure what is the average wet diaper output for a baby that age, I have seen 4-6 and 8-10? Also how often are your little ones nursing? She goes usually 2-3 hours during the day (today it has been every 2 for sure, I thought that she was not getting enough during the feeds so I was offering more often). As a side note, she has had about 10 bottles of breastmilk since birth the last one being last thursday so I do not think it is nipple confusion, and she only has had the bottles when I have been out of the house. Thanks, Kelly
    I'm Kelly,mom to Sam!!10.6.09: and Kate!! 9.15.11 and away!!!
    Married to Matt since 10.13.07!!!!
    Also loving my furry brown lab, Bo!!!

Default Re: bad day or is something wrong?

it should be 5-6 wet diapers for disposables 6-8 for cloth try this link for info

maybe she is just off, maybe sick?

she is going to become more efficient over time but she is still little. just watch the diapers and keep an eye on her in case she is getting sick. good luck

with the PP. Sounds like an off day, which would be typical at 6 weeks. Lots of big changes the the first three months, and there's often a monster growth spurt around 6 weeks which could account for the lighter feeling in your breasts, the more frequent feedings, and perhaps even the fussiness. But I would definitely keep an eye on your little lady, and if she seems "off" take her in to the doc. Breast refusal sometimes crops up when baby has an ear infection.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank You ladies, her diaper count is at least 6 right now and she will usually have one or two more before bed/ bath. I checked for fever earlier because I thought ear infection right away but so far nothing which is good. She is just never fussy at the breast and in the previous five weeks we have had no issues!! Thanks for the support!!!

Stupid question but could something be wrong with me? Like could something taste bad or my lotion or something smell bad to her? could she not like something that I ate? Does it taste different for them depending on what I eat? I did breastfeed my son but I do not remember that.