Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 6 ounces+, & nearly no hindmilk

Default Re: 6 ounces+, & nearly no hindmilk

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*toddlerandtwins View Post
    EP = exclusively pumping
    OS = oversupply
    There is a sticky post with a list of acyonyms in one of the forums. I still refer to it sometimes (never heard AF before (=aunt flo) )

Good luck with reduce supplementing. Be confident about your milk and ability to provide for your baby. This forum is a great resource!
    Thanks for such wonderful words- lolll and helping with deciphering the acronyms (lol that's what I get for posting without reading the stickies first! )!
    I'm starting to be much more confident today- thanks to you ladies, this wonderful forum and thanks to me manning up enough to send an email to Dr. Jack Newman! I'll share the email with you ladies (just in case anyone isn't sure who he is, he's like the ultimate breastfeeding resource- very pro-breastfeeding and he really is all about growing a breastfeeding relationship with your child... I mailed him asking about making insufficient hindmilk and his response was:

I wish we had never heard of foremilk and hindmilk. All that does is cause confusion. Forget hindmilk. You cannot tell what % of fat is in the milk by checking in a container. The thinner the container, the more fat will be at the top. It’s not a question of fat, or increasing the “hindmilk”. If the baby gets more milk, he will gain faster, hindmilk or foremilk. But what does so-so weight gain mean anyway? If you are giving bottles, this is a good way to decrease the milk supply. A baby this age can drink from an open cup or have milk mixed with his solids. And if he’s eating solids, even if he doesn’t get as much milk as he might want, he should gain fine.

Well that pretty much did it for me, lol I won't question anymore, for sure. I think i'll just re-incorporate more solids (today I gave organic brown rice cereal and breast milk mixed and homemade acorn squash baby food- she loved both) and add in the breastmilk after the meal and in-between "bites" lol in fact, today the milk appeared to be thicker than usual and I theorized maybe it just takes lots of time pumping before that thicker milk really gets stimulated from the mammary glands. I'm so thankful for everyone's help- I appreciate it beyond words. I'm going to keep going like this and throw in other little tastes of other things so baby can further develop her pallet! Thanks to all!

I love Dr. Newman. I e-mailed him regarding my cleft baby during the Super Bowl, fully expecting not to hear a thing back until Monday, and I got an answer an hour later; while it was not what I wanted to hear, it was very thoughtful and kind of him to respond so honestly .... Just as he did you
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    I love Dr. Newman. I e-mailed him regarding my cleft baby during the Super Bowl, fully expecting not to hear a thing back until Monday, and I got an answer an hour later; while it was not what I wanted to hear, it was very thoughtful and kind of him to respond so honestly .... Just as he did you
    OMG isn't he amazing?
    lol same here! He emailed me in, like, 45 minutes! lol yeahhh he's got what we could say a "way" with words lol. I was hoping maybe he would offer up some type of advice or instruction that would help with my perceived lack of hindmilk, or maybe advice on what kind of cup to give my 7 month old lol and well all i'll say is he did give me answer I still think he's great but you're totally right about adding thoughtful and honest to the list... he's definitely all of these things. maybe it wasn't what I wanted but rather what I needed to hear all along..

I love Jack Newman!

And that's precisely what I meant by my first comment. Moms with severe oversupply often do have a "foremilk/hindmilk" imbalance. But babies tend to gain weight very quickly with OS, despite this. They may be gassy or whatever so it's good to fix it for that reason. But the presence of MILK is what helps weight gain. If you make enough milk the baby will gain weight fine. And in your case, with solid food, if you feed your baby a combo of solids and bm you should not have trouble sustaining her. Just follow her cues and feed her when she is hungry!
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein