Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 6 ounces+, & nearly no hindmilk

Default Re: 6 ounces+, & nearly no hindmilk

EP: exclusive pumping.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Your milk is normal. Mama, honestly I think it sounds like you're psyching yourself out- "What if I'm in that strange, weird percentage of moms that doesn't make fatty milk?"... When I had problems with supply I found the idea that I might be one of those rare moms who couldn't make enough milk a perversely appealing possibility. It explained everything without me having to keep looking for a cause for what was going on, or a solution to the problem.

aprilsmagic really made a fantastic point about the hindmilk- that cream on the top of the bottle really is just the cream, the pure fat. There's fatty hindmilk underneath the cream, too.

Can you tell us more about what led your doctor to suggest supplementation? Maybe there is something going on there that got missed, something that wasn't about your milk.
    Wow- I never knew that....
    It never occured to me that the fat on top is just that, pure fat and that the milk beneath it had a high fat content too... I kind of knew that the milk beneath the thick fat layer was pure fat but to think it was as fattening as the pure fat, that is something i've never considered- thanks for point it out! I probably am blowing this whole thing out of proportion. I'm so amped up about being able to get off the supplement that I probably blew the whole hindmilk issue up... I wonder if I give her whatever milk I pump/am able to feed directly from breast and the right amount of solids, baby should probably have no problems progressing as she has been for the past two months, I think.... i'm going to try it out and see.

You aren't kidding- it is such an easy idea to get lost in....definitely.
    I think i'm going to try to quiet that inner chatter, pump and breastfeed, and just monitor that weight. Oh the peds recommendation to supplement? The idea of supplementation really only came up when the doctor mentioned a few months back that baby is gaining weight perfectly, has jumped up a little bit on the growth chart, but said baby's weight could be a bit higher and that supplementation would get baby up to an even better place, weight-wise. I took the advice not really knowing that baby would take to the bottle just a bit better than the breast (although she is still quite good with both but sometimes she'll cry for the bottle just because)....sigh last time I take "well-intentioned" advice. lol

EP: exclusive pumping.
    Thanks! That helped fill in the blanks for me!

You know, considering the amount you can pump coupled with the fact she's on solid foods it won't be too difficult. I would reduce the formula gradually, but you can do it mama! Keep us updated on what happens too!
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*msstc View Post
    Oh the peds recommendation to supplement? The idea of supplementation really only came up when the doctor mentioned a few months back that baby is gaining weight perfectly, has jumped up a little bit on the growth chart, but said baby's weight could be a bit higher and that supplementation would get baby up to an even better place, weight-wise.
    Oh, that makes me MAD! When a baby is gaining weight perfectly, the doc should say "Baby is gaining weight perfectly," full stop. He/she shouldn't sabotage mom's confidence or try to improve on nature by pushing formula. After all, what is "a better place" weight-wise? Fatter isn't necessarily healthier, even with babies!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Oh, that makes me MAD! When a baby is gaining weight perfectly, the doc should say "Baby is gaining weight perfectly," full stop. He/she shouldn't sabotage mom's confidence or try to improve on nature by pushing formula. After all, what is "a better place" weight-wise? Fatter isn't necessarily healthier, even with babies!
    OMG! I missed that. Damn doctors seriously piss me off sometimes. WTH?? With Dylan and his dairy allergy, we had an appointment at 2 months that I literally walked out of. And I sent several letters. I mentioned he had colic, and that I was on a dairy elimination diet, with the hopes they would have some advice for me that might be HELPFUL. Instead she said, and I quote, "Well, it sounds like he's allergic to dairy. You'll just have to switch to formula". This was before she even LOOKED at my son. And she had just weighed him, and that was perfect. I found a new doctor. I was so angry not just because formula was mentioned- I get it can be necessary in some rare situations. But holy crap, the way she just dismissed breastfeeding! Like she didn't get at all what that would have done to me AND my son to lose our nursing relationship. And just without hesitation, "Oh well, you'll just switch to formula." No biggie!
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*melissawoods View Post
    You know, considering the amount you can pump coupled with the fact she's on solid foods it won't be too difficult. I would reduce the formula gradually, but you can do it mama! Keep us updated on what happens too!
    Hey! Great!
    I really think i'll be trying this idea - I read the following on kellymom.com and I totally want to share this in case anyone finds they are in a similar position:
    "Because of the great variability in the amount of solids that babies take during the second six months, the amount of milk will vary, too. One study found average breastmilk intake to be 30 oz per day (875 ml/day; 93% of total intake) at 7 months and 19 oz (550 ml/day; 50% of total energy intake) at 11-16 months.

Several studies have measured breastmilk intake for babies between 12 and 24 months and found typical amounts to be 14-19 oz per day (400-550 mL per day). Studies looking at breastmilk intake between 24 and 36 months have found typical amounts to be 10-12 oz per day (300-360 mL per day)..." here's the link for more excellent info (they also have a milk calculator here): www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html
    I totally think I can keep up with that...I originally thought I would wean around 12-16 months but if these estimates are dead-on, I should be able to continue until baby is at least 18 months! I totally will keep you guys updated- already I feel like i've met such awesome inspirations- yessss that means you lol, mommal and aprilsmommy! Thanks girls! You guys are totally cool!

Ohhh I know- it's crazy...
    It should be something that we should be happy and proud of- just the fact that baby is thriving and do so wonderfully.... but doctors are NEVER satisfied! I sincerely think there is a lack of trust. The medical profession has zero trust in moms and their ability to do what they can, naturally. I think if they had it their way they would have us overloading our babies and over-stuffing them with formula so they can max out the growth charts while they are infants/toddlers AND then when they get to be 5-8 try to hurl blame when these same children are obese in a way that could risk to effect their health and weight for the rest of their lives....you are so on point. Fatter is NOT healthier- particularly if you have to force-feed your child when they aren't hungry!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*melissawoods View Post
    OMG! I missed that. Damn doctors seriously piss me off sometimes. WTH?? With Dylan and his dairy allergy, we had an appointment at 2 months that I literally walked out of. And I sent several letters. I mentioned he had colic, and that I was on a dairy elimination diet, with the hopes they would have some advice for me that might be HELPFUL. Instead she said, and I quote, "Well, it sounds like he's allergic to dairy. You'll just have to switch to formula". This was before she even LOOKED at my son. And she had just weighed him, and that was perfect. I found a new doctor. I was so angry not just because formula was mentioned- I get it can be necessary in some rare situations. But holy crap, the way she just dismissed breastfeeding! Like she didn't get at all what that would have done to me AND my son to lose our nursing relationship. And just without hesitation, "Oh well, you'll just switch to formula." No biggie!
    Yeah they totally piss me off too!!!
    Seriously?? Can they even do that?!! Its laughable to me because doctors are taught, in school, to let things develop for themselves and to not intervene (in this case, with formula) unless medically necessary. What's worse is every formula, in some form or another, does have dairy proteins in it, somewhere... and i'm definitely not fond of soy.... the research out on soy formula is catastrophic, in fact, in most European countries (take France, for example) they have outlawed soy formula because it has been linked to infant death. Its funny too.... I was in the doc's office the other day for baby's 6 month and I was to write on a sheet how much formula baby takes in a day- I wrote down 6-20 ounces (my fault for being so honest, so I know I did it to myself lol but baby can take as little as 6 ounces on a good day and 20 ounces on a bad day- 20 is the exception, definitely not the rule) and when I got in the office, the doc was like "6-20 ounces? yeahhh well she's not getting milk from you at all.. why are you even wasting your time??" She's not my baby's regular ped- just another in the practice, but if I tell you how angry/mad/pissed I was- how I just wanted to scream every curse that god has given me power to say to this doctor, lol you would be surprised loll.... But thats when I figured she couldn't breastfeed for her own child. Then out came her story- she couldn't pump more than a couple of ounces a day for her own child. I guess that means I can't do it for my child either, huh? ugh.... I am so sorry your son had to go through that- but thank goodness he had such a strong incredible mommy that would NOT tolerate that mess! I hate to say it there are so many sabotaging #$##$% doctors out there that should simply be ashamed to call themselves peds. You know what? a lot of people just don't get how serious the relationship is- for both mom and child....some people can't even begin to fathom...

EP = exclusively pumping
    OS = oversupply
    There is a sticky post with a list of acyonyms in one of the forums. I still refer to it sometimes (never heard AF before (=aunt flo) )

Good luck with reduce supplementing. Be confident about your milk and ability to provide for your baby. This forum is a great resource!
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months