Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Grunting, Gas and Reflux. Help!

Default Grunting, Gas and Reflux. Help!

My 2 month old is strictlly breastfed. She has several GI problems. She grunts to have BMs and release gas. She has a very difficult time and just gets squirts out. The doctor says it is due to an immature nervous system and she will out grow it. She also has had reflux since she was 2 weeks old. I feel I know what her problem is, but I don't know how to fix our problem. She gulps when feeding. I can hear her swallow air. I have a strong let-down reflex and an abundant milk supply. Sometimes my milk will let-down 3 times in one feeding. I have tried block nursing. This has not really helped. Any advice would be appreciated.

Default Re: Grunting, Gas and Reflux. Help!

Your doctor is right. They almost all grunt...my 9 month old still grunts. But also, as they grow, they are better able to manage a fast letdown. It becomes a blessing in the long run

Reflux is pretty common too.

If you have OALD and OS, block feeding helps, but you may need to use longer blocks of time and keep at it for some weeks to months.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

My 3 month old has the same problem with gas. I feel so bad bc sometimes she cries and gets so upset when she is gassy. She nurses approx every 2 hours during the day. I haven given her colic calm for her gassiness but I was wondering if bc she cries and sometimes screams if maybe I'm missing something.
    Thanks!

Grunting is completely normal for BF infants. I was surprised about it myself, but I've been told it's normal and I've read several places that this is not unusual. As far as the gulping, etc. sounds like you have OALD and OS??? If you are having trouble controlling your supply, I would definitely seek the assistance of a LC (preferably one this is an IBCLC). They can really give you some hands on assistance and guidance on how to control your supply. All that gulping will add to gassiness and reflux...BTDT!!! Good luck...it will get better!

My LO is 6 MO and has had the same issues since 1 MO. I give her Zantac 2x a day for the reflux, and gas drops. I also block feed. As she got older, she got better at nursing efficiently. She developed a shallower latch that allows her to eat without getting overwhelmed (most of the time) by my OALD and OS. Hang in there, it does get easier!
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

Thanks so much for the support. I foud out that she doesn't gulp and swallow air as much if we lay down to nurse. She also takes Zantac 2X a day. Sometimes her reflux is so bad that she can't catch her breath. It can be really scary. I am afraid to let her out of my sight.