Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Paranoid Breastfeeder

Unhappy Paranoid Breastfeeder

My little one had weight gain issues at birth and took a little longer to regain her weight . We had to use nipple shields for several weeks because of latch issues and have been off them for two weeks now. The last two weeks she's gained 10 oz and 6 oz and seems happy most of the time. She also has many wet diapers and normal stools. That being said, I'm still a paranoid freak that something is wrong and she's not getting enough. My breasts are no where near as full as they once were and I sometimes wonder if they feel much different after nursing. I do feel let down pretty fast into the nursing session. Little one sometimes tugs and pulls a little near the end of the session. I'm worried my milk supply isn't enough for her. I also worry she's not latched on efficiently, even though I have no pain when she nurses. If i nurse her in cradle hold she only eats 10 min a side but if I do cross cradle with my brest friend nursing pillow she eats 20+ a side, and the breasts feel more softened. She was born at 6 lb 10 oz and is now 8 lb 9 oz at 6 weeks. I also think I'm so focused on this to distract myself from the fact my hubby is getting ready to go to Afghanistan for six months... Sighs....

Anyone out there feel similar worries about bf success or have suggestions for me to have a better experience? What can I do to just sit back, relax and enjoy breastfeeding her?

Default Re: Paranoid Breastfeeder

I think it is totally normal to be paranoid and worried in the beginning. As long as her diaper counts continue to be good, try not to worry about it so much. Trust me, it really does get easier. I wouldn't have believed it if someone told me that in the first few months, but it really does.

Try to relax and enjoy your baby!
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex, born 2/27/11

Default Re: Paranoid Breastfeeder

I highlighted a few portions of your post that I can totally relate to. My DD was born one month premature and had to go to the NICU for 2 weeks after, 3 days after she was home from the hospital from the birth. I was SUPER paranoid about nursing and went to see an IBCLC a few different times to have pre and post feed weights done to see how much my LO was getting. Also, I had her evaluate my latch and position, and also had her help me ensure I was using the right size "horns" when pumping. I ALSO bought a digital scale that I STILL use (LO is now 6 months) to weigh DD on. I now only weigh every few weeks, but in the early days, I was weighing 2x a week and also did a few pre-post feed weights at home. After she made it to her 4 month well-check and got the OK from the pediatrician, I relaxed a LOT more. Now that she made it to 6 months, I actually leave the house quite frequently. Maybe trying to see an IBCLC would ease your mind a bit. Also, I had a local LLL leader come to my house and attended a few meetings, and that helped a LOT, too. This forum is great, but getting out in the world (out of the rocking chair) helps me a lot, too!
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tashamu2004 View Post
    ..... We had to use nipple shields for several weeks because of latch issues..... I'm still a paranoid freak that something is wrong and she's not getting enough. My breasts are no where near as full as they once were and I sometimes wonder if they feel much different after nursing. I do feel let down pretty fast into the nursing session. .....I also worry she's not latched on efficiently, even though I have no pain when she nurses. ...
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong