Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Green poo, vomit & crying

Default Green poo, vomit & crying

Hello, Last night my 3mo woke me by squirming, I sat him up thinking he had wind, and he vomited LOADS (was 2.5hrs after last feed) then cried pretty badly. He also vomited loads about 5am, cried though less badly. At 8am he cried really badly before he'd woke enough to open his eyes. His poo has been pretty green the last few days. Just now he's waking and crying, kicking his legs like maybe his tummy hurts, then dropping off again. He seemed fine most of the day, though has fed less and slept more than recently.

He's always been a good weight (born 8lb2oz on 20/7/11), was 16lb at 11 weeks old (not weighed since then). I've fed on cue, and am wondering if I've been feeding him too frequently and he's has too much foremilk - it's been every 1.5-2hrs in daytimes, nighttimes did have a 3-4hr sleep followed by 2hr sleeps, but the last few nights he's been waking every 1-2 hrs, feeding a short while (not much glug-glug) and wanting to keep the nipple in his mouth as he dozes.

Any thoughts? Thanks...

(co-sleeping, babywearing, gentle home waterbirth)

Default Re: Green poo, vomit & crying

Has this just started? It sounds like he has a virus. I wouldn't worry about feeding too frequently. I would continue to let him nurse on cue.
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

I would also venture to guess that it's some sort of tummy bug. Feeding him for just a minute or two at a time and not completely filling his tummy while he's sick is the best way to go.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Bug. Keep on nursing
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!