Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: It Breaks My Heart....

Default It Breaks My Heart....

DD2 is almost weaned. She's only 14.5 months old. I know that we've nursed as long as we can. Being half way through my pregnancy has really impacted my supply. Even when she does nurse, I highly doubt that she's getting much of anything, if anything at all. She only nurses maybe once or twice in bed at night. Sometimes she can go completely without. It won't be long now. I'm not refusing, but she barely asks. It's more due to me offering.

It breaks my heart. DD1's nursing was cut short by a combination of being pregnant with DD2 and a stupid amount of overtime at work. While 17 months of nursing is nothing to sneeze at, it wasn't the 2 years I had hoped for. I wanted more for DD2. At least 2 years. Now she's gotten less.

I know I've done the best for my girls. I know they're not left wanting for anything. I know that my family is getting the best available. I just wish it didn't have to be so bitter sweet.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Default Re: It Breaks My Heart....

Joe's weaning at 2.5 years, and that's really hard for me. I think, no matter when it happens, it's always bittersweet.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Joe's weaning at 2.5 years, and that's really hard for me. I think, no matter when it happens, it's always bittersweet.
    E just weaned one month and one day shy of her fourth birthday and I have mixed feelings. I agree that no matter when it happens, it's emotional.

Agreed. Its bittersweet no matter what age they are. Just remember that you have done a fantastic job : )
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09

Awww, mama... it is so bittersweet! I know I will be soooo sad when Mason weans.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

I'm having a hard time accepting it because I could have simply NOT gotten pregnant, so it wouldn't have impacted my supply. I could have NOT caved in to my employer about all of the overtime (which they obviously didn't appreciate anyway considering they let me go before I could return from maternity leave ). Don't get me wrong, I LOVE DD2 and wouldn't trade her for the world. And I know I'll LOVE Babe #3 as well. But there's a part of me that is mad at myself for making choices that limited their nursing relationship with me.

I had my 2 hour glucose test this morning and came home after scarfing down a bagel. I got to nurse her down for her nap. It makes me appreciate every nursing session we have because it could be our last.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

It is hard when they wean and when it looks different than we wanted it too. Not that anything can replace nursing, but it might be helpful to have something you do with her that's special for you and her...something simple like a song you sing just to her while you rock her. Hugs mama.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Hang in there. DD is weaning as well, although she is 19 months, but still it makes me sad. Just a week ago it was driving me CRAZY because she wanted to comfort nurse ALL night and I got no sleep, which is NOT optimal for me being in early pregnancy because I am exhausted!! I complained the next day about being over nursing, and now she never wants to nurse it makes me really sad now. I know I nursed her for as long as I could and I am proud of myself for allowing us that relationship no matter what criticism I got.
    I am Heather

[COLOR="YellowGreen"]Proud Mommy to Skyler Ayden, a beautiful baby girl born March 18, 2010.

I am and and CD love that little

Married to Shane May 19, 2001, my bestfriend, even though I am with him, he often makes me want to