Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 1 year old eating SO much...normal?

Default 1 year old eating SO much...normal?

Ok, so BLS clearly worked for us...I can't keep food away from DS now - he'll be 1 on 10/29. I'm just wondering if it's normal that he's eating so much - or should I be worried he's not getting enough from nursing?? I am 11 weeks pregnant, and although I still have milk, it's hard to tell if he's getting milk the whole time he's nursing or if he's nursing for comfort too.

He nurses around 6 times in a 24 hour period; 6 am, 10:30am, 4:30pm, 7:30pm, and then usually twice in the middle of the night.

Now, actual food. He eats three hearty meals a day; full servings of oatmeal or yogurt, half sandwiches or a whole homeade pizza (made on sandwich-thins with tomato paste and cheese), a whole egg, an entire sweet potato, etc....plus whatever "side" items we offer...Then, in addition to mealtimes - he ALWAYS wants snacks. He'll never refuse food. Fresh fruit or veggies, yogurt, cheerios, toddler-snacks (like the gerber yogurt melts), cheese, raisins, cheerios...basically anytime there is food, he signs "more" for it. Sometimes he walks over to the pantry and signs "more".

At meal times we let him eat until he does the sign for "all done" and starts throwing his food on the floor.

In addition to the food, he drinks usually 1 to 1.5 full sippy cups of water throughout the day.

His wets/dirty diapers are fine...and he is gaining weight and growing and SUPER active...just a little food monster.

Just wondering if this is normal at this age, or if I should be questioning my supply??

Sorry this is so long, I have a hard time condensing my thoughts sometimes...
    Proud mama to Matthew Rory, born naturally 10/29/10, and mama to Callie Elisabeth, born naturally 5/15/12.

Default Re: 1 year old eating SO much...normal?

My son is 2 and nurses about 4 times during the day and at night (to sleep, at 4-5 am, and again when wakes).
    He also eats snacks, full meals, and drinks a few sippys of water during the day. Sounds a lot like your son.

I think that you shouldnt stress about your supply. You have made it to a year (CONGRATS!!! Pat on the back!!!) and around that time is when its just whatever you want it to be or however it works out. Your son sounds like he is in great shape. As long as what he is eating is healthy, and he is healthy, and his diaper outputs are what they should be and he is growing fine has plenty of energy (which it sounds he does) I just wouldnt stress.
    Yes, its likely for your supply to decrease some with this new pregnancy and I am sure he will make up for that with other foods/drinks you offer. As long as his diet is well rounded and if you do really think your supply is low, you could offer other additional sources of fats/calcium like yogurt, cheeses, avocado, etc... but you don't necessarily have to supplement with cows milk etc.

Sounds like you are an awesome mom and are doing a FANTASTIC job!
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09