Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suppy Issue? Cow Protein Allergy? or...?

Question Suppy Issue? Cow Protein Allergy? or...?

So, my crazy search for answers started about a week ago, we went to the dr for the 6 month check up and my little man had only gained a little over a lb in 2ish months. So I went home and stressed. He is EBF, on demand, every 2/3 hours and does maybe a 4/5 stretch at night.
    Now, he also is ridiculously long, he grew 4in 2ish months. So I took this into account and tried to relax, then the green poop showed up and I realized I had been seeing it off and on for I can't remember how long. So I googled and found the supply issue of foremilk/hind milk but the 'fix' is block nursing which my little man already does because of his favorite side, he isn't gaining tons of weight, and he isn't fussy while nursing. It doesn't seem to fit to me.
    Then this morning at 4am, that's when my little man wakes and poops, I watched him poop out more green poop and this time it was very mucusy and bubbly, went to google and found the cow protein allergy issue and I have decided to go dairy free for a month and see how things play out. I have also called a lactation consultant but she hasn't gotten back to me. I am lactose intolerant but I love milk so I just limit how much I drink and deal. So the cow protein seems to fit but when I read other people's experiences everyone's baby is much younger than mine, he is 7 months today and it seems a little late in the game for a allergy to show up. Right? Anyone have any other ideas? Experiences?
    Help please.

Default Re: Suppy Issue? Cow Protein Allergy? or

have you added solids?

No solids yet.

kelly moms has a great page on how to help with weight gain.

Let us know what the lactation consultant says... Im curious too. I don't think it could hurt to try going dairy free.. as long as you got plenty of calcium fats otherwise. Those are the only two causes of green frothy poop I know of too.
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09

Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09

Mama, would you post a weight history for us? It sounds like your baby's growth is concerning you and we might be able to put your mind at ease. FWIW, it's very normal for growth to slow around the 6 month mark as the baby becomes increasingly mobile. All that reaching/rolling/squirming/etc. burns a lot of calories that used to get packed on as fat.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the responses, here are his weights:

birth/March: 8lb 7oz
    April: 10 lb 8oz
    June: 13lb 10oz
    August: 16lb 1oz
    October: 17lb 13oz