Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 month old not growing and weaning?

Default Re: 10 month old not growing and weaning

I thik you should be giving her SMALLER bottles of formula. No breast fed child ever eats 8oz of breastmilk while feeding from you so it's not reasonable to expect her to be able to keep that much formula down ON TOP of her regular milk.
    Thank you. I seriously had no idea. You are right and I should have thought of that. I just do not know how to work formula.

And one more last suggestion (I swear! lol)- brown rice powder. You can get it from whole foods/online... I would be sure to give her lots and lots of cereal and be sure to make it with whole milk, brown rice powder (it has a fair amount of calories- something like 30 for 1 tbsp. but I would put like 4 or 5 tbsp. (only after trying it on her to see if there is any allergies), some coconut oil (healthy fat), and add some coconut/flax powder) and just super fortify her foods. Give her avocado slices like melissawoods says (you can even make her an avocado shake: http://www.food.com/recipe/brazilian...o-shake-121338), give her bread with olive oil on it (you can also give hummus mixed with tahini (sesame seeds, ground into a paste). give her some hardboiled egg and give her full fat yogurt... load her up on good, healthy fats... at least, if you can't get her to take in enough milk, stimulate her growth by giving her lots of whole, naturally fatty foods combined with a supplemental nurser and she should thrive, easily. I'm not sure how you feel about any of my suggestions but try it, mama... it will get you to worry less because at least she is in-taking and healthy foods are as responsible for brain development and growth as milk is... I hope this helps!
    Thanks. About the brown rice powder... I am pretty sure I am already doing that. I grind organic brown rice in my vitamix until it turns to powder? That is what I make her cereal out of. Is is the same thing? We always make hummus and add tahini- just never thought to give it to her so thanks again! I do avacado, coconut oil, whole milk yogurt, hardboiled egg yolks. I add flax to almost everything we have for dinner so I will start adding it to her foods.

What about goat's milk rather than cow's milk? Any thoughts? My pedi said my dd could have pediasure since she was so close to 12 months he wasn't worried about allergy stuff- told me to do that or formula so if she can have pediasure i am okay with milk... just not sure if I should go with goat's or cows? I wish I could just stick with my own.

I am also going to start pumping after she feeds to put into bottles- I usually don't get a lot of milk though after she eats.

I feel so clueless. My second son was very sickly and didn't have solids until after a year because he choked on everything and my third son breastfed so well and ate solids with no problems- I didn't have to do high calorie stuff for him. I just don't know what to do with my daughter (even though she is my fourth) so I really appreciate all the advice and ideas. I have an SNS (medela) from my second son. I never could make it work but I will give it a shot again.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*me.lyzzi View Post
    Thanks. About the brown rice powder... I am pretty sure I am already doing that. I grind organic brown rice in my vitamix until it turns to powder? That is what I make her cereal out of. Is is the same thing? We always make hummus and add tahini- just never thought to give it to her so thanks again! I do avacado, coconut oil, whole milk yogurt, hardboiled egg yolks. I add flax to almost everything we have for dinner so I will start adding it to her foods.

What about goat's milk rather than cow's milk? Any thoughts? My pedi said my dd could have pediasure since she was so close to 12 months he wasn't worried about allergy stuff- told me to do that or formula so if she can have pediasure i am okay with milk... just not sure if I should go with goat's or cows? I wish I could just stick with my own.

I am also going to start pumping after she feeds to put into bottles- I usually don't get a lot of milk though after she eats.

I feel so clueless. My second son was very sickly and didn't have solids until after a year because he choked on everything and my third son breastfed so well and ate solids with no problems- I didn't have to do high calorie stuff for him. I just don't know what to do with my daughter (even though she is my fourth) so I really appreciate all the advice and ideas. I have an SNS (medela) from my second son. I never could make it work but I will give it a shot again.
    Hey!
    Acutally brown rice powder is suprisingly (and confusingly) not the same as ground organic brown rice- lol I know that sounds strange, but brown rice powder is actually an all-natural form of protein powder. it's all of the below:
    Contains 85% protein
    Contains all nine essential amino acids
    Hypoallergenic Protein
    Highest digestibility and efficiency among protein sources
    Vitamin and Mineral rich. Also supports the body’s absorption of vitamins and minerals
    Contains high levels of antioxidants and essential nutrients including iron, potassium, riboflavin, niacin, phosphorous, and thiamin
    Also, it can be used for children/adults of all ages- i've used it on my baby as well and she hasn't had any issue with it ever. But I definitely misspoke- it's brown rice protein powder- i'm sorry! Awww no problem! I'm glad you do so much of these things already- they are soooo super healthy for baby. I think i've read before that actually goat's milk is the closest in nutritional value and form to mother's milk- so you might be onto something there.... definitely test it out for allergies but I think it should be just fine! see this page here: http://www.abundalife.com/goats.asp goat's casein is very close to that found in mother's milk and just as nutritious (try these pages also: http://www.healthnews-nz.com/infants.html; http://goatconnection.com/articles/p...icle_196.shtml. I would definitely use goat's milk first because pediasure has LOTS of sweetener in it and only comes in chocolate and vanilla flavors (from what i've seen) so it could be problematic for any burgeoning sweet tooth lol...

I think you have all the right tools and ideas- just don't give up hope! in 24 hours time a lot of great posters were able to change my mind about my belief that I had a hindmilk/foremilk imbalance.... i'm pumping like a mad woman lol and it takes up a lot of the day but I feel things are actually getting better. No problem at all- so many people helped me out and I want to return the favor! Try the SNS again- it is a little slow going, but, it will be close enough tot he experience that, even if regular breastfeeding ends up being too problematic, you can still continue to enjoy that bonding experience.

I am not sure if breastfeeding is going to work anymore or not. We took her to the doctor today and she lost more weight. They told me the next step at this point is a gtube. I am going to try to pump (I never get much) and add my milk to formula. They talked about me concentrating formula. We have to know exactly how many calories she is getting now. I cried and cried in the doctors office. We are going to see a GI doctor in another state (because there are none near where I live) the end of this week or the beginning of next. I have to get weight on her. I do not want to have to do the gtube unless nothing else works.

She has gone from mildly low tone to severely low tone. Reflexes she used to have are not there anymore. I feel terrible. I am scared. I hate to give up on the one thing that is best for her- breastmilk but obviously we have to do something drastic. I am going to give her the concentrated formula and offer the breast. The doctor told me that was okay as long as we knew she was getting 20 ounces of high calorie drink in a day- whether pumped breastmilk with formula or just formula... but that was the minimum at this point and I can add nursing to that.

I just hope we can make it through this with her still nursing, even if just once a day. I am not giving up on my 18 month goal- just adjusting what that goal may look like on a day to day basis. Thanks for all your help.

I'm sorry. That must really suck to be in the spot you're in.

((hug)) I hope your GI doctor has some additional advice for you, and I hope very much that your daughter begins to thrive.

Mama, what a scary place to be in. I am so sorry. It does sound like you are pursuing the proper course of action. I know it must hurt to have to adjust your hopes and plans so drastically. One thing you might want to discuss with the doctors is the possibility of using a hypoallergenic formula- if there is an allergy component to what is going on with your baby, using a hypo. formula might help. The other thing I'd want to talk to the doc about is metabolic disorders- when you say that your baby has lost tone and reflexes it makes me think of things like MSUD (Maple Syrup Urine Disease) which can cause poor growth and developmental regression. MSUD is fairly common in Amish populations in my area, which is why it occurs to me... But the are a lot of other metabolic conditions, many of which are very rare and therefore not covered by the standard neonatal screening.

Giant to you, mama. Let us know if there is anything we can do to support you through this tough time, and help you meet your breastfeeding goals.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*scienceteachermommy View Post
    To help maintain your breastfeed relationship, you might try a supplemental nursing system like this. That way you can get the stimulation of nursing while supplementing.

And s.
    I was going to suggest this, which I used myself successfully to up my supply when it tanked and DD started nursing less and less, BUT I doubt if a 10-month-old will nurse with the tube taped on. It was tremendously helpful when my DD was 2-4MO but then she started refusing to nurse with it on.

Another thing crossed my mind... I'm just going to throw it out... Some people who are opposed to commercial formula do homemade formula...

http://www.westonaprice.org/children...e-baby-formula
    http://www.westonaprice.org/faq/faq-...e-baby-formula
    http://www.westonaprice.org/children...a-testimonials

LOTS of hugs to you!! I've been in a similar situation where I hated and doubted and was disappointed with myself and everything - and it was terrible - BUT our problems were much easier to identify so I could start working to fix them, so I can only imagine the place you're in right now. I wish your family all the best in this tough time. Please remember to take care of yourself as best as you can so you can take care of your baby. I admire and totally support you for not giving up on your BF goal.

First time, SAH mom to my precious daughter born October 2009
    Nursing 27 months and counting... I still love nursing so much and am SAD thinking the end can come anytime now...

Talk to the doctors about using formula in your pumped breastmilk. If you add a bit -- your doc should be able to tell you how much - you can increase the calories in it. We thought we would have to do that, and I wasnt crazy about the idea, but our situations are a bit different. I was afraid he wouldn't drink any of it, but it sounds like your baby would.

is there a children's hospital near you? We have had excellent results and they have been pro-breastfeeding for us.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Just as a side note, coconut oil is a known appetite suppressor. Maybe try to cut out the oil and maybe she would be more hungry and eat more. Worth trying anyway
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011

Thanks to all for your support and ideas.

My daughter was hospitalized for five days for severe failure to thrive. It was hell. She went through 5 straight hours of testing in just one day and various tests every day she was there. They were drawing the maximum legal amount of blood every day (and always missing so at least 3 pokes per draw). Her IV came out so the had to put it into her other hand after a failed attempt at putting it in her foot. It was bad.

They stopped my breastfeeding. I fought on that. They said I could nurse for 3-5 minutes a day. I am doing more than that but not a lot. They ended up putting her on crazy expensive formula and they kept concentrating it more and more until they saw consistent overall weight-gain. She still lost weight two days that she was there even on their concentrated formula but overall she has gone up. She now weighs over 13lbs.

The dietitian we saw there was very pro-breastfeeding and I talked to her about my goal to nurse at least 18 months. She suggested (as a mom she told me, NOT a doctor) that I pump and add it to her food- continue offering the breast for a few minutes at a time and possibly concentrate my milk. They have found that my daughter needs almost twice as calories a day than a "typical textbook" baby to gain weight. They ran a million tests and are still waiting on blood work to try to figure out why.

They also classified her as having severe low tone. My heart is broken. I cannot even think about what has happened with my breastfeeding relationship. She still latches on but it is never for more than two minutes or so. I do want to try to get my milk supply back. It has been a week since she has taken a full feeding and several weeks of full feedings plus supplementing with formula.

Right now I am exhausted and trying to recover. She got croup, an upper respiratory infection and a kidney/UTI in the hospital so I am exhausted. We were also about 3 hours away from our home and I did not see my boys (ages 5 and under) for 5 days and they all got sick from the various homes they stayed at.

I am going to start pumping. I am trying to figure out how to pump/formula feed/take care of four kids/homeschool. I will do it though. I was handling everything fine until the formula factor came in. It is harder on me emotionally than physically. Last night I cried and cried and said I didn't understand- I have done everything right- I nursed her on demand. I was always offering the breast and it just hasn't worked. It is heart breaking. If I think about it I fall apart. It is like I am mourning. I am sorry I am rambling.

Any ideas for pumping? When? How often? I know I should be pumping all the time but I don't know if I have it in me. I want it so bad I am just exhausted. I hope next week after I veg out for the weekend my spirits will be up.

I hate to admit it but I feel completely off and depressed. My period came back after two months of none. I don't know if it is my period or losing my breastfeeding relationship but I feel so down and everything feels like so much effort. I used to feel so happy- I still am happy and love to be with my kids and my baby but I just have this pit in my stomach and anything extra is really hard right now. I need a pro-pumping pep talk. Pumping is so hard for me. I pumped for 11 months for my 3pound premature son because he never did latch on. Pumping brings so much anxiety over everything I went through with him. Do I sound like a mental mess right now?

Mama I'm no experienced pumper so I don't have good advice to give but can I just give you lots of s I'll be thinking of you and your strength in pulling through this tough time...

First time, SAH mom to my precious daughter born October 2009
    Nursing 27 months and counting... I still love nursing so much and am SAD thinking the end can come anytime now...