Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 month old not growing and weaning?

Default 10 month old not growing and weaning?

DD has been breastfed and only breastfed since day one. Around 4 months she lost a lot of weight and hasn't recovered it yet. I have been fighting doctors to keep breastfeeding her and her weight keeps going slightly up, not up at all, then down. She weighed 12lbs at 2 months and now at 10 moths weighs 13 pounds.

She eats solids after she nurses, and can eat and eat and eat. My milk supply dropped heavily when I started my period again at 4 months. I worked hard to get it up and got her gaining again but now no matter what I do she is not growing.

I gave her a bottle of formula after she nursed for the first time yesterday. I cried, handed her and the bottle to my husband and walked out of the room. She drank all eight ounces of formula after she nursed. I am scared because she has another weigh-in and I just can't have her losing more weight. She is also not developing as she should and even her physical therapist told me we had to stop physical therapy because she needs to grow until we start back up.

I do not know what to do. I am a mess. Now today she is refusing to nurse at all. I do not want her to have formula. I always pictured her nursing until at least 18 months or farther. She needs to grow and of course if it means formula and breastmilk that is what I will do but I hope to find another solution.

I am so opposed to formula. I look at my tiny baby and feel like I am failing her. I do not want to give up on breastfeeding. Help!

Default Re: 10 month old not growing and weaning

Welcome to the forum, mama! I am sorry you're having such a tough time with your baby and her weight. Would you consider posting a full weight history for us? Maybe there's a pattern that we can make sense of...

Do you have a pump? Preferably a really, really good pump? If you pumped and filled those supplemental bottles with breastmilk you'd be achieving on two fronts at once: you'd be supplementing without needing to use formula, and if you do have a supply issue, the pumping would probably help to fix it.

May I ask if you are currently using birth control, and if so, what kind? Hormonal contraception often has negative impacts on milk supply, some kinds more than others.

Finally, can you tell us more about your baby? What is going on with her, aside from the very slow growth? Does she have reflux, has she been sick, what are her poops like (ever see mucus, streaks of blood, green poops?), does she have any symptoms of allergies (hives, excema, unexplained rashes), has she ever been tested for anemia?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you so much for responding! Here are my answers to your questions:

Do you have a pump? Preferably a really, really good pump? Yes! I bought a Medela Pump in Style when she first lost at 6 months. After she nurses I usually can't even get an ounce.

May I ask if you are currently using birth control, and if so, what kind? I had my tubes tied after her. Tons of pregnancy complications- she was my fourth emergency c-section and my uterus split... it makes her nursing struggles even worse knowing she is my last.

Finally, can you tell us more about your baby? She is a happy little girl, so tiny but so happy, alert and cute! When the doctor examines her she smiles and coos at him the entire time- very laid back (except when I try to cosleep she screams her head off until I put her in her own bed where she falls asleep on her own with no problem- bittersweet)

What is going on with her, aside from the very slow growth? Very slow development. Her PT thinks her growth issues and PT issues are linked.

Does she have reflux, has she been sick, what are her poops like (ever see mucus, streaks of blood, green poops?) Never seen reflux, ever. She doesn't even spit up- until today when she had formula and shot it out everywhere for ten minutes after she ate it. I hate formula. Her poop is totally normal.

does she have any symptoms of allergies (hives, excema, unexplained rashes), No allergies that I know of. My 3rd son had cow milk issues so I gave up dairy while I nursed him but I see nothing in her.

has she ever been tested for anemia? Yes. It is all fine. She was actually tested two weeks ago for vitamin deficiences (all vitamins) thyroid, white blood count, red blood count, UTI, etc. They took 8 vials of blood and she had to have a catheter to test urine and every single test came back normal.

She was born at 6pounds 7ounces at 36 weeks. She was born with a great wide open mouth latch- but then would not suck. I taught her to finger suck (fighting nurses in the hospital on supplementing) and would express some milk onto a spoon, feed it to her, then try to switch her to the breast and it worked like a charm! She learned to suck and was amazing! At two months she weighed 12 pounds!!! Then at 6 months she weighed 12.8 I got a pound on her in a month and she went to 13.8 by 8 months now at almost ten months (in 4 days) she is at 13 again. She has wet diapers. The pedi said there are no signs or dehydration at all, her skin tone, color, elasticity is all good. I didn't start solids until after 6 months when I saw that she had not gained. She has always nursed on demand but has never been a comfort nurser and has not wanted to cosleep since she was tiny. I do take baths with her, wear her, cloth diaper when they are clean We have an amazingly happy family and she has so many that love her... I am so sad and so confused. Her doctor, PT and I all agree that she is a mystery but she NEEDS to gain weight at this point. I have been refusing formula for 4 months and now I just don't know what to do. I offer her the breast constantly... any help would be wonderful. She has refused to nurse almost all day today. Oh- no teeth yet... I wonder if her refusing has to do with possibly teething but at this point she can't afford to miss meals. My head is spinning and my heart is sad.

Thank you again for responding.

There are days when she will only nurse for a couple of sucks and then quit. Some days she nurses vigorously and I can hear and see her swallowing. Today she isn't nursing well so I have had to give her two bottles of formula. She threw up the entire first bottle. It makes me so sad. I do not know what to do.
    Last edited by @llli*me.lyzzi; October 24th, 2011 at 07:16 PM.

I think, at this point your pediatrician is right. You may need to try a different type of formula till you find something she can tolerate. You can work on your supply and people may have suggestions- maybe an sns system would work? How is her head circumference? Has that grown? The problem with not getting enough calories is their brains don't grow well enough, and when that happens it can make them not hit milestones. And you will notice the head circ falls off the curve and then you have failure to thrive. In addition to the formula I would add fat to her food in every way possible- olive oil, butter, avocado, stuff like that.

I understand you want her on just breastmilk. I would be heartbroken if I had to supplement for any length of time. But IMO, you need to try the formula and heavy calorie solids. If it doesn't work, it may be a health issue with her. But I think at this point it's emergent enough that you need to try....
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

Thanks. It is hard to read but I know you are right, which is why I am so sadly giving her formula as well as breastfeeding.

Her diet is full of fats. We do only organic food for her. She gets avocado every single day. I add either grapeseed oil or coconut oil to all of her solids. She also gets organic whole-milk yogurt everyday (with oil added to it). We feed her high calorie foods all day which is why I am so confused as to why she is losing weight.

Can a baby this little have butter? My doctor suggested giving her a lot of protein. We do not eat meat at home. I have given her beans from time to time but am concerned about upsetting her little belly so I am slowly adding that.

I know this is a breastfeeding site but any ideas on how to supplement and protect as much as possible my milk supply/nursing relationship? I always offer the breast first, then offer solids, then a bit later a bottle. Yesterday she only had two bottles... just not sure how to do this.

Thanks for the help and support. This is so hard on me. I told my husband last night I can't even think about it. I have yet to give her a bottle. My friend gave her one for me and then my husband always does it when he is home. I do feel like my body has failed her.

I thik you should be giving her SMALLER bottles of formula. No breast fed child ever eats 8oz of breastmilk while feeding from you so it's not reasonable to expect her to be able to keep that much formula down ON TOP of her regular milk. Use supplements as exactly that. Something to SUPPLEMENT what you are already doing. NOT replace your breast milk! Try just topping her off with 2-3 oz and see if she will keep that down.

Way too lazy for formula

To help maintain your breastfeed relationship, you might try a supplemental nursing system like this. That way you can get the stimulation of nursing while supplementing.

And s.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Sorry I have no answers for you, but plenty of .
    ~Tiffany~

Truly blessed by God
    Wife to Will
    First Time Mom to C 2/18/11
    Made it 6 Mos. EBF Now enjoying BLS
    My baby is a year old now!

Aww i'm so sorry mama...
    I do have a couple of ideas that might work well for you...
    I do this myself sometimes. I am not for formula, in the least, and realize how damaging it can be to the breastfeeding relationship, but this has worked for me and my baby has managed to jump a couple of percentiles from when she was born and has not slipped in weight, not once....when I was struggling to get the breastfeeding on track, I usually about 3-4 days out from the appointment will give supplement to my baby, and do about 75-80% formula and pump as well as throw in some breastfeeding. Usually by the day of the appointment, baby's weight has jumped enough (it's not uncommon to gain almost a whole pound and some cases more) that the doctor cant say much... now why do I do this? mostly because I know as soon as I get home from the appointment, this has bought me more time to get my breastfeeding situation together. Think of it as a means to an end. When I first gave a bottle of formula to my baby I felt a wide range of emotions- sadness, loss, even a small feeling of betrayal (how could baby take a bottle over me) but I realized it would only be temporary and I resolved to myself that it would not derail my breastfeeding relationship.

I have a couple of other ideas too- one of the ladies mentioned a supplemental nursing system..I just bought a lact-aid for myself and it's great! google lact-aid and you'll be able to see what it looks like- it works well, is fairly inexpensive (about $60 or so bucks) and will allow baby to stimulate the nipple while getting whatever breastmilk and whatever formula she can suck through the tube. Lastly, I would try to put her on whole milk a bit early if you'd rather not use formula. My sister had to do this before for her child at around 10 months because she had used similac advance and (this was some time ago) they had a recall where she had one of the canisters with beetle parts in it....she started milk at 10 (I know they recommend waiting until 12, but she couldn't stand the thought of other future recalls, how sick it could make her baby, etc.,) and my nephew was fine... he didn't have any digestive problems (she started from similac to milk cold turkey) she just watered down the milk a little bit to start and he took right to it and that was the end of formula for him!

And one more last suggestion (I swear! lol)- brown rice powder. You can get it from whole foods/online... I would be sure to give her lots and lots of cereal and be sure to make it with whole milk, brown rice powder (it has a fair amount of calories- something like 30 for 1 tbsp. but I would put like 4 or 5 tbsp. (only after trying it on her to see if there is any allergies), some coconut oil (healthy fat), and add some coconut/flax powder) and just super fortify her foods. Give her avocado slices like melissawoods says (you can even make her an avocado shake: http://www.food.com/recipe/brazilian...o-shake-121338), give her bread with olive oil on it (you can also give hummus mixed with tahini (sesame seeds, ground into a paste). give her some hardboiled egg and give her full fat yogurt... load her up on good, healthy fats... at least, if you can't get her to take in enough milk, stimulate her growth by giving her lots of whole, naturally fatty foods combined with a supplemental nurser and she should thrive, easily. I'm not sure how you feel about any of my suggestions but try it, mama... it will get you to worry less because at least she is in-taking and healthy foods are as responsible for brain development and growth as milk is... I hope this helps! Please let us know!
    btw: I read teething might be an issue? From walmart I was able to get something by a company called "Hyland's" and they are tiny disintegrating teething pills... I give it to my baby and she has no problem with pain after.. I won't try anbesol because i've heard some scary things, but she has had no problems with the pills!

By 10 months, as long as she doesn't have allergies, she can have butter, cheese and yogurt. All have great fats for the brain and calories.
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein