Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad about solids.

Default Sad about solids.

Does this sound really weird? My DS just turned 5 mo old and we'll be starting solids next month. I am feeling sad about it. I think I feel like it is the beginning of the end of BF. I fully plan on BF until he's ready to wean, so at least until a year or so, but I just think it will be different because I won't be his only food source. Like he won't need me. I think part of it is due to the fact that I had to EP and supplement for 2 months, so when I finally got him back to the breast and off supplements, it was so amazing for me. But I still feel like we lost out on 2 months of EBF. I know he'll love solids because he's already very interested when we're eating and he's tried to grab our food and drinks. I guess I just am curious if anyone else felt this way and how others BF relationships changed when they started solids. Thanks!!

Default Re: Sad about solids.

I felt sad a bit too, but you'll always be the mama and he'll always need you! Our nursing relationship did change over time, not sure how much of it was solids related though...I think more of it was distraction/mobility related. What did happen with solids is that I got real protective/controlling over what solids exactly she was eating, so I really hated when others tried to give her food without my consent..I'm still kind of that way but I feel more secure in our bf relationship now.

It helps if you always bf *before* solids up to the year mark, and I think that's recommended too, that way you know she's getting the good stuff and the rest is supplemental more or less.

Where solids really were helpful for us and a good thing was in the snacks department, like if you're out for a couple of hours, snacks helped tide her over till we can get home to nurse. So there are a lot of positives to solids. That and I could leave her with DH and know she won't be starving, since there are solids to help with that. There were ups and downs in our nursing, like around 10mo-12mo (peak walking time for us) she was harder to nurse, but after that when her molars started coming in, she picked up again. You'll be ok mama, just have fun with the solids, you'll see how much fun he's having and you'll forget about this worry soon enough
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Totally understandable. It's hard to let go of that stage of total dependency... But it can be liberating, too. Once your baby can be distracted or tides over with a handful of cheerios or blueberries or something, you may gain some freedom that you will realize you've actually been missing.

Honestly, I think that one thing that might help is to let go of that "at least one year" time marker. It's unlikely that your LO will want to wean at 12 months, or any time around then. Much more likely that, if you enjoy nursing and he enjoys nursing, you'll be a happy nursing duo for a few more years, not just 6 short months.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

With my LOs nursing and solids seem to be completely separate things. Solids (especially when they were feeding themselves) were about playing and touching and trying things out. Nursing was about nourishment and cuddles and being with Mommy.

Realize too that parenting is an almost constant process of letting go parts of your child's development and welcoming new stages. Of course right now I am dreading the all to soon teenage years coming soon with DD as I watch the baby figure out crawling and pulling up and making sounds and even trying foods. There are times I wish my not-so-little girl was still the little baby at my breast but I am also really enjoying the young lady she is becoming.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

My LO still wanted to nurse just as much after he started solids as before. Like the PP said, nursing is about more than just food, so he'll still want and need that time with you for a long time.
    Stay at home mom to my 2 boys:
    R - born 4/20/08, nursed for 20 months
    G - born 8/6/11, EPd for 4 months, until he refused the bottle!
    Loving CDing this time around!

Thanks for the responses! I need to focus on the positive, like the extra freedom.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Honestly, I think that one thing that might help is to let go of that "at least one year" time marker. It's unlikely that your LO will want to wean at 12 months, or any time around then. Much more likely that, if you enjoy nursing and he enjoys nursing, you'll be a happy nursing duo for a few more years, not just 6 short months.
    I really hope so!! That would be great!

Totally know how you feel. I felt this same exact way when it was time to start DS on solids...I also was sad that his little body wasn't going to be "pure" anymore...I felt like the only thing in his body up until that point had been breastmilk - which was made specifically for him...and I was so hesititant to ruin that!! Haha..but I can assure you, it is by no means the end of nursing. My little guy still nurses frequently at 1, despite the fact that he is eating a ton of solid food. Actually, over the last few weeks nursing has turned into a comfort thing with him...it used to be "all business" and now he finds time to cuddle longer and he stays latched a little longer.
    Proud mama to Matthew Rory, born naturally 10/29/10, and mama to Callie Elisabeth, born naturally 5/15/12.

mama. I know it can be hard to watch them grow up.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

I hear you! I actually posted almost the exact same sentiment a few months ago when my DS was 5 months, even down to my guy grabbing at our plates. It is so bittersweet. Since I posted, we've started solids, and the funny thing is that he is not too impressed yet. He keeps trying them, but I tell you what, our nursing relationship is as strong as ever and he's constantly doing new funny nursing things that warm my heart. Your LO will always need you.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*longtalltexan View Post
    I hear you! I actually posted almost the exact same sentiment a few months ago when my DS was 5 months, even down to my guy grabbing at our plates. It is so bittersweet. Since I posted, we've started solids, and the funny thing is that he is not too impressed yet. He keeps trying them, but I tell you what, our nursing relationship is as strong as ever and he's constantly doing new funny nursing things that warm my heart. Your LO will always need you.
    Encouraging to hear!!