Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 5 mo old pushes back while nursing

Default 5 mo old pushes back while nursing

Is this normal? My son latches on, starts drinking, and then uses his "free" hand to push on my chest and pull back. . . WHILE fully drinking. It hurts!

I take his hand and hold it, caress it, etc. This seems to alleviate some of the pain, but DANG! Why is he doing this? Do other kids do this?

I did have a good spray going there when I was first nursing him - has he just learned to be leery of Mama's supply? (Which, by the way, has apparently regulated as I haven't worn breast pads in a week.)

Thanks!
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

Default Re: 5 mo old pushes back while nursing

Totally normal. A lot of babies "knead" the breast while nursing. It can speed milk flow, and I think they just like squishing... Holding the little hand is a good solution to the problem.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yeah my son did weird stuff like that too. Still does. Now it has progressed to trying to turn himself upside down lol. Its perfectly fine to tell them no, that hurts mommy and to teach them good nursing manners : )
    Just think of this as gently discouraging them from doing any kind of activity that you wouldn't want them doing.

Oh, and I stopped wearing nursing pads about that time too. Its totally normal. Doesn't mean you have low supply, but at about 4-6 months your body has figured out how much the baby needs and doesn't need to make all that extra. You will notice yourself not feeling quite so crazy full too.. bc it begins to "store" not quite so much as "backup" and your body is great at making more milk as the baby is nursing now if the baby wants more.

Congrats on making it to five months!! pats on the back!
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09

http://breastfeeding.hypermart.net/development.html

In the five month zone she talks about distractability : )
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09

Thank you for that link! Very handy! And thank you for the affirmation that my baby's not weird!
    I breastfed my daughter for 13 months, and I swear I don't remember any of this!
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

My girls do this. It can be very unpleasant. One of my girls also likes to smack her arms. I move their hands/arms when they push back. I found that holding her hand or letting her play with my fingers works.

Unfortunately (for me) distraction plays a big part. I have stopped feeding my girls while watching tv or if my son is playing toys because one will stop to watch him. Also if I talk that distracts one of them too!
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

My DD does this too. I believe that I still have OALD and OS, as I still sometimes leak on weekends, and am still pumping 7-10oz in the mornings each day during the week, so I think she's protecting herself from the "firehose". I do also have multiple letdowns, so I'm sure that plays into it. Also, she's highly distractible... her best nursing sessions are in quiet, dark rooms! Makes for a stir crazy mama sometimes, but she'll only be a baby once, and not for long, so I deal!
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong