Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 7 weeks old 8 hour sleep

Question 7 weeks old 8 hour sleep

Hi everybody, I have a quick question. I have a 7 weeks old baby girl, she was born a little bit small, 5.4 lbs. She's been BF since the beggining and we've had no problem with that. She gained weight fast, by the time she was 5 weeks she was 8.20 lbs. Now she's 7 weeks she eats from both breasts at night around 35 min from each and she sleeps from 1 am till 7:30 or 8 am. I ask the Dr if she could sleep at night and she said to wake her up after 5 hours. Later during the day she eats every 3 hrs and she doesn't sleep that much, she spends time in her cradle listening to me and my mom talk to her wihout crying. What do you girls think? Should I wake her up or just let her sleep her hours?

Thanks,

Default Re: 7 weeks old 8 hour sleep

Personally, I let the baby sleep when the baby is sleeping. But my baby is always with me, and they can feed whenever and however much they want, I don't like leaving mine somewhere; the interaction is good for them.

Around 4 months, sleep patterns change a lot, and most who were STTN no longer will. So I enjoy it while I can
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

After 6 weeks I would let her sleep and enjoy myself sleeping for more than 2 hours at a time! If she is still having enough wet/dirty diapers then I would not worry.
    July 27 2011

My girls were completely different for the first 12 weeks, DD1 slept 8+ hours around 4 weeks old, DD2 took 12 weeks to sleep 7 hours consistently.
    If you are feeling full/engorged you can always pump overnight. I did that when both started sleeping consistently to relieve the pressure and build a little supply for my return to work.
    At 7 weeks I would let her sleep!
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

If she is gaining well then I would personally let her sleep. It's only 2 hours more than the pedi wants I was told to wake my daugheter when she was 6 weeks but she was not gaining well
    Mommy to
    Ava 9.24.08 self weaned at 2.5
    August 8.19.11 still nursing, trying to wean gently
    Abram 9.12.13