Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby needs tongue tie clipped again?

Default Baby needs tongue tie clipped again?

My DS was tongue tied at birth and we had it clipped at 5 days. He stopped gaining weight at 3 weeks, and when I contacted a LC, we discovered he was not removing milk effectively. My supply was way down, so I've been pumping for the past 8 weeks, and nursing only for comfort.

I went back to the LC yesterday and discovered my DS was able to nurse and get 3.5 ounces! (I had to nurse on both sides and then another again to achieve this.) She is still concerned about his latch though. He's causing vasospasms and he slips off very easily. She's not sure exactly what's happening, but thinks that perhaps his tongue tie was not clipped deep enough and might need to be clipped again. Has anyone experienced this before? She also wants us to try craniosacral therapy and see if that helps him latch better.

I am just nursing and not pumping at all this weekend to see how it goes. It makes me nervous to not know how much he's getting, but so far he's been content after feedings (though he falls asleep and they take 45 minutes), is napping well, and has lots of wet diapers. It would be wonderful to be able to dump the pump!
    Stay at home mom to my 2 boys:
    R - born 4/20/08, nursed for 20 months
    G - born 8/6/11, EPd for 4 months, until he refused the bottle!
    Loving CDing this time around!

Default Re: Baby needs tongue tie clipped again?

Our ENT mentioned the possibility that sometimes the cut needs to be "refined" at a later date.

ETA: And the craniosacral therapy we got for his plagiocephaly did definitely make a difference in his latch.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Default Re: Baby needs tongue tie clipped again?

I'm definitely going to check into craniosacral therapy. We had a very quick labor and delivery, which I've read can contribute to the need for that type of therapy. He also has a bit of plagiocephaly, so I think this might be what we need. Thanks!
    Stay at home mom to my 2 boys:
    R - born 4/20/08, nursed for 20 months
    G - born 8/6/11, EPd for 4 months, until he refused the bottle!
    Loving CDing this time around!