Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you find time to pump?

Default Re: How do you find time to pump?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Why are you pumping? If you don't have to, then don't. It is way, way too much work.

Really, ALL I did was pump and feed the baby. Everything else was neglected. and that is how I pumped 8-12 times a day for the first 12 weeks of my baby's life, child #4. It was really awful. I hardly slept. We were lucky to have clean clothes. The house is still dirty, like dusty and cluttered, because even though I don't have to pump as OFTEN, I still have to pump as LONG, for a total,of 120 minutes a day, to maximize my supply.

Hands free bra

I don't sterilize anything

I miss breastfeeding
    I wish so much my house could be so dirty! Unfortunately, my husband is a serious neat freak and is VERY unhappy when the house is untidy. Even when I do chores everyday, he will still sometimes sulk about what he perceives to be the inexcusable mess. Lately, I have just put my foot down and said, "Clean it yourself. The baby is more important!"

And thanks for the brand suggestion.
    Last edited by @llli*kimberlyh; October 24th, 2011 at 05:27 PM.

I'm the neat freak. But there was NO option. I have to pump. Then I have to feed it to the baby. Right there, that is 240 minutes out of my day. Just for those two things. Doesnt count just holding the baby. Then fixing meals, looking after my other kids. Trying to get some sleep. It is what it is. so the house is dirty.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Pumping is hard. I also found the Simple Wishes hands free bra to be the best one out there. And there is definately no need to sterilize each time. I used to leave the horns on the bottles and put the entire set-up in a ziplock bag in the fridge. Then just grab it when you're ready to pump again - pumping into the same bottles as a previous poster said. If your dishwasher has a sterilizing setting put the pump parts on the top shelf and just run them through once a day. If you are feeding baby the breastmilk through bottles be sure to use bottles that you can just attach to your pump and then put a nipple on (the medela bottles or even the cheap gerber bottles) so you're not washing double-bottles. Sorry you are going through this. It's hard and your baby is lucky that you are so determined. Best of luck to you.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

I won't comment on your hubby putting pressure on you to clean...

But I will say, I have two long sessions of pumping in my car on the way to and from school. That really feels like a good use of my time, I only have to pump once while I am actually at school. I don't know if you work outside the home, so that might be completely useless to you. I also pump at night while my husband is putting baby to sleep. Our routine is for me to feed him on one side, then my husband gives him a bottle and puts him to sleep while I go pump. Works pretty well, but I usually only get 1-2 oz at this time.

I have also pumped while nursing a couple times, but that is pretty hard with a baby wanting to kick the horn all the time haha.

Agreed on the pumping and driving. Any drive over 10 or 15 minutes would be a good time to pump (I promise it can be done safely)!
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mskalinin View Post
    I won't comment on your hubby putting pressure on you to clean... :angryp
    I understand EXACTLY what you mean.

Driving and pumping sounds like a good idea, but unfortunately I don't have a license. Yep, I never got around to getting one, and now at 22 I'm actually a little nervous about driving. Maybe someday, but not with my baby in the car!