Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping/supply help!!

Default Pumping/supply help!!

I posted the following on the 0-3 months forums:

Ok, so I went back to work about 3 weeks ago. I had a small-ish stash of milk in the freezer for when I went back and have been able to pump 2-3 times each shift (10 hours each shift) but have only gotten about 2 ounces each session (which, from what I understand, is normal). I had a rough start with pumping, but things finally started working for me. I pump 1-2 times before bed and rarely in the morning before my DD (3 months old) wakes. I know she eats more than that, as she takes about 3 ounces every 2 hours when others watch her. We have gone through all the small supply that I had and for some reason fell behind and everything I've been pumping each day has been used up same day. Obviously I'm not pumping enough to keep up with her needs and I want to avoid giving her formula at all costs (though she did have her first little bit of formula tonight, which I'm not pleased about, but there wasn't any other option.). I eat a decent diet; oatmeal for breakfast and lots of water throughout the day. I know that there are lots of foods out there that help boost supply, but is a boost of my supply really what I need? I mean, I don't want to have too much milk and end up with an OS and mastitis! Help!
    Mommy to:
    DD born 7/14/2011 7 lbs. 10 oz.
    DS born 5/31/2013 8 lbs. 6.5 oz.

Default Re: Pumping/supply help!!

I just went back to work a month ago. I had that same problem. I take Motherlove More Milk Special Blend most days. On other days I take Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle. I also pump alot (which I'm sure you do also). When I was trying to jump my supply, I woulld pump before and after my LO's first feeding, throughout the day at work, once or twice after work, and sometimes once in the middle of the night.

Hope that works!