Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can one night sleep harm my supply?

Default Can one night sleep harm my supply?

I did not have a decent night of sleep since more than one year and recently DD ( 7 mo) is waking a lot at night so I am so awfully tired. She still nurses at least 3 times at night if not more, I cosleep but this is not giving me enough rest...So I am dreaming to have one ininterrupted 8 hours night and would like to arrange some bottles for her and have DH take care of her one night. So considering that my supply is already on the low side the question is if I do not nurse for one night will this be already enough to decrease my supply? Thanks!

Default Re: Can one night sleep harm my supply?

Why not just delegate DH for one or two of those sessions rather than the whole night? I bet you'd be AMAZED at the difference that five or six straight hours, then nurse, then sleep some more would make. Have DH bring you the baby in bed, so that you barely have to wake up.

To answer your question, I don't think it would permanently impact your supply at this age, but you might very well get pretty uncomfortable if you skip three sessions in a row! If it were me at that age, I wouldn't have been able to sleep at a certain point bc my breasts would have been rock-hard anyway. So I'd say, compromise and try delegating just one or maybe two feedings, rather than a whole night.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

with JoMo. Does she take a bottle at other times during the day? Do you cosleep? If not, you might consider it. We coslept with DS from about 3 months on and I hardly noticed when he woke to nurse. Sometimes I think he nursed and I didn't even wake. The way I knew was my shirt was up and my bra was down when I woke. HAHA. If I were you, I would try not to get my hopes up about getting that whole night of sleep because she may only want you at night. It may be more than just another feeding for her, but to have the comfort of you, who she is used to feeding her. I hope you get some extra hours uninterrupted soon though. Not sleeping enough to get a good REM cycle going sucks really bad.

I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to discourage you from putting your DH in charge of a feeding, because it's worth a shot. But Joe wouldn't have taken to a switch of night-parent kindly, I'm afraid. It was mama, or scream-fest, take your pick. What did help me was taking Joe to bed with me.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.