Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: teething??

Default teething??

Hello All,

My LO has been fussy with eating for the last week. Other than that she is her usual happy self. She seemed ok at the breast until today and would only fuss with a bottle. This AM though she didn't really breastfeed and I thought perhaps she was starting to strike again so I offered her a bit in a bottle to see what would happen...she didn't want it. I can't really tell if her gums are swollen...although she's been sucking on her fingers more and will kind of gnaw at my finger when I stick it in...We had started solids, but lately she seems uninterested where as before she was all for it.

I called the doc office and they thought maybe she was teething...what do you guys think? I mean how long can I let her go without eating properly? This is making me worry. She still having about 5 wet diapers a day.

TIA

Default Re: teething??

how old is your LO?
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

Have you felt around on her gums to see if there is a tooth under there? You might try some tylenol to see if that helps with the nursing.

My LO is 6 mon old.

I did try to feel around, I can't really tell. She does this thing where she latch then unlatch and suck her thumb, then I either have to pull her thumb out and bring her back to the breast or she'll come back herself, but only suck for a short time. Could she perhaps be frustrated with the flow? It's days like this that has me ready to finish with breastfeeding because I worry so much about what she's getting.

I might give Tylenol a try if the next feeding doesn't go so well.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tomom View Post
    My LO is 6 mon old.

I did try to feel around, I can't really tell. She does this thing where she latch then unlatch and suck her thumb, then I either have to pull her thumb out and bring her back to the breast or she'll come back herself, but only suck for a short time. Could she perhaps be frustrated with the flow? It's days like this that has me ready to finish with breastfeeding because I worry so much about what she's getting.

I might give Tylenol a try if the next feeding doesn't go so well.
    How is her diaper output? How long does she usually stay on the breast before she starts fussing? If her diaper output is still ok, then she might just be more efficient at nursing and might not need to feed as long as she used to. If she is only fussy when you are trying to feed her more, she might already be full. How often is she wanting to nurse? Is it any different than is used to be?

ETA: I am asking all of this because I don't want you to get frustrated with not knowing and quit on her. Formula in NO WAY compares with breastmilk and should really only be a last resort. If she isn't bothered by her new behavior, neither should you be. Before bottles, mommas just had to trust their babies. If there really is a problem, we can help you figure it out. I care and would hate to see you give up.

thats about when my DS cut his first teeth, we use the highland teething tablets and they have ben a life saver.
    Im Jenn
    Mamma To:
    Kelsey BF 3 months
    Kenneth BF 3 months
    Blaze BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Bristol BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Raiden BF 15months & counting

We
    NIP BLS

In need of some

LACTIVIST

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juno View Post
    How is her diaper output? How long does she usually stay on the breast before she starts fussing? If her diaper output is still ok, then she might just be more efficient at nursing and might not need to feed as long as she used to. If she is only fussy when you are trying to feed her more, she might already be full. How often is she wanting to nurse? Is it any different than is used to be?

ETA: I am asking all of this because I don't want you to get frustrated with not knowing and quit on her. Formula in NO WAY compares with breastmilk and should really only be a last resort. If she isn't bothered by her new behavior, neither should you be. Before bottles, mommas just had to trust their babies. If there really is a problem, we can help you figure it out. I care and would hate to see you give up.
    Her diaper output is ok...usually about 5-6 wets although not all soaking. She's on the breast for a few minutes with pulling on and off, so I find it hard to believe she is full even if she has become more efficient. I find it hard to read her hungry cues because her thumb is always in her mouth. I have tried spacing out her feeds a bit more but sometimes it seems she doesn't go much longer in between. I know breastmilk is good for babies, so I wouldn't give it up completely, I mean i would pump until I could pump no more...but I don't know that the anxiety I get from not knowing if she's getting enough is good for my supply anyway. She is happy otherwise so I suppose I could just watch and see what happens.

She's on the breast for a few minutes with pulling on and off, so I find it hard to believe she is full even if she has become more efficient. I find it hard to read her hungry cues because her thumb is always in her mouth. I have tried spacing out her feeds a bit more but sometimes it seems she doesn't go much longer in between.
    Hi, my DD is also doing the exact same thing. She's going to be 5mths on 25th. I too am worried about this behaviour. But she seems happy other than the nursing inconsistency. And she definitely will bite my fingers while I'm cleaning her gums n tougue...
    My guess is she is also teething but don't see or feel anything on her gums yet???

Nice teething trick for those over 6 mos, we'd freeze grapes, put them in a thick baby sock, tie a knot and get it wet. My son went CRAZY over those, and then would always nurse better after. Sometimes they need their gums iced first.
    Carmen-Noel mum to James born naturally 8/28/2010.
    Mommy's little pumpkin head

We love our amber necklace from @llli*expat-mum. PM her for the most beautiful effective teething aide we've found!

I could've written this VERBATIM. My LO is also 6 months and I started giving her tylenol @ bedtime before nursing and during the day when I'm with her, and it seems to help. Also, nursing in a dark, quiet room whenever possible helps her settle in and get down to business b/c there's not much else to entertain/engage her. Pediatrician has said the teeth can move and cause discomfort for WEEKS before they actually erupt...
    Her diaper output is ok...usually about 5-6 wets although not all soaking. She's on the breast for a few minutes with pulling on and off, so I find it hard to believe she is full even if she has become more efficient. I find it hard to read her hungry cues because her thumb is always in her mouth......
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong