Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Light-Headed After Nursing/Pumping

Default Light-Headed After Nursing/Pumping

Why am I getting so light-headed after nursing and pumping? I know I eat enough (too much actually) and I drink to thirst always and then some.
    Addison Nicole changed my world on June 21, 2011
    12:33 pm
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"

EBF 11.5 months!

Sadie Lynn completed our family on August 7, 2013
    12:46 pm
    8 lb (even)

20.5"

Default Re: Light-Headed After Nursing/Pumping

Is it just a brief feeling or something that lingers?

I used to get kind of a head rush when I'd nurse and sometimes when I'd pump. I think it was the rush of hormones. Oxytocin gives me a tingly lightheaded feeling, but it doesn't last long.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I pumped @ 11 and its now 1:17 and I'm still slightly light-headed. It's a delayed reaction, usually 10-15 minutes after I'm done.
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"

EBF 11.5 months!

8 lb (even)

20.5"

I had this when Joe was a newborn, probably due to dehydration, anemia, and low blood pressure after losing a lot of blood at his birth. I would feel nauseated when I nursed him. I also had really strong (painful) letdown sensations.

At your daughter's age, I might bring this up with a PCP. Faintness can be a sign of other problems. I might suspect dehydration or low blood pressure?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

, that's something I'd talk to the doc about. It might be nothing, but just to be sure. I'd also guess you might be dehydrated.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I agree to get it checked out with your doc. I had this a couple years ago and we discovered a thyroid imbalance.
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

Could be blood sugar levels. I have hypoglycemia and I tend to feel light-headed when sugar levels drop. This happens often now that I'm BFing, as making milk burns so many calories! Although I've never noticed a connection with feeding times, but maybe I just haven't paid attention.

PS. With blood sugar levels, if you have some sort of issue (like hypoglycemia), you can get the drop even when you're eating and drinking enough. It's also about the kinds of things you eat.
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

I called my OB and they didn't know what might cause that and recommended I call a LC. The LC thought a few things, one could be blood pressure, dehydration, or glucose levels. Since I use fenugreek they said that naturally lowers your glucose levels so they want me to make sure I eat something like peanutbutter before I nurse and pump to see if that helps and then to check my blood pressure right berore I stand up and right after and this doesn't need to be based on when I nurse or pump, just whenever. I have to follow-up with LC this weekend. If it is the fenugreek then she has other herbs that I can take that won't affect glucose levels.
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"

EBF 11.5 months!

8 lb (even)

20.5"

ugg don't you love that the ob doesn't know...I mean they are a doctor right..
    are you keeping track of diet? I have a few things that make me feal sick if I eat too much like msg and sweetners..

My mom was having some heart skipping and they did a thryod test so maybe there is something to that?