Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Doctor wants me to supplement.

Default Doctor wants me to supplement.

So I have exclusively breastfed my 4 month old girl. No formula. She has had a few bottles of my breast milk. She has heavvvy wet diapers and poops several times a day. At her one month checkup dr said she was gaining good. 2 month checkup said she needed supplementation... but I didn't. 3 month checkup said she is gaining good. Today at her 4 month checkup said she is growing and isn't too concerned with her weight but wants me to supplement with formula one bottle a day with cereal in it. I do not want her to have formula. If she truly needs it then yes. But I am uncomfortable with adding cereal to the bottle. Finally she said I could try pumping and giving her an extra bottle of milk a day wiiiith cereal. She also said I could just in general start cereal and oatmeal now. But ididnt want to start that until 6 months.

She is soooo long. Dr said she thinks my milk is ok because her head is growing and she is so long. She said she has no fat stores though and just enough to grow. She said she is developmentally advanced. She is very happy and social. She was born at 7 pounds 9 ounces and left the hospital at 6 pounds 15 ounces. At her 3 month checkup last month she was 10 pounds 5 ounces and 24 inches. 40 days later, today she weighs 11 pounds 11 ounces and is 25.3 inches long. She is 83% for height and went from 15 to 13% for weight... so her weight percentage HAS been kind of steadily decreasing. She also has reflux and spits up a lotttt. So in 40 days she gained 22 ounces I think that's right. I thought that was low but still good. Every single time I go to her doctor I feel like a breastfeeding failure. I hate feeling like that.

Last week my baby was in the emergency room for croup and I had a long talk with another pediatrician about her size and he said she seemed great and had fat and was happy and I can't always go by the charts. Now this week her main dr is making me feel inadequate. My son is 2 but the same dr told me back when he was newborn that he was not getting enough milk and to supplement. So I did and then just slowly my milk went away. I don't want that to happen. I want to be successful this time. I don't know why it has to be such a battle for me to breastfeed my children. And having such conflicting advice from doctors doesn't help.

The dr also wants me to pump allllllll day one day to see how much I make in a day. She said I should get 28 ounces and if not she is not getting enough. Seriously... I thought pump output wasn't a good indicator of supply but she wouldn't listen. She asked if I ever pump and I said yes that I get a little over 3 ounces every 3 hours. Like 3 and a half ounces. She was like ohh that's definitely not enough. My girl seriously eats every 2 to 3 hours still. I talked to the LLL leader here and she said 3 ounces was good for pumping. What to do ? Who do I believe ?

Default Re: Doctor wants me to supplement.

Wow, I would switch doctors. It sounds like she is giving you some advice to seriously undermine breastfeeding!

The weight sounds fine. 15% to 13% is nothing really! It sounds like she is growing on her own curve, which is what is important. As far as cereal in a bottle... why? That's a choking hazard for one thing, and not necessary. Breastmilk has more calories than cereal. And you are right about pumping, not a good indicator.

Time for a new doctor!
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Watch your baby, mama. If your baby is well (and she sounds GREAT, btw), then don't worry about parenting advice from your pediatrican. If your pediatrician is truly concerned with your baby's weight, and you concur, all you really need to do is offer an extra nursing session or two a day. Does your pediatrician have anything to say about reflux? That can caused lower weight gain, and addressing it (if it is a problem) can fix that.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Honestly, that advice just sounds wrong. And it sounds like you know it's wrong. She's growing, she's gaining weight - at most she had a small setback from croup. This doctor undermined you the last time. The other doc thinks everything is fine! Time to switch!!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Get a new doctor! This doctor does not sound bfing friendly or knowledgeable. Your LO sounds like she is a happy and healthy little girl. When she is ready for solids she will let you know by grabbing your food off your plate and trying to put it into her mouth, or making other signs that she is interested in food. That could happen at 4 months and it could happen at 9 months. Cereal in a bottle is very old school, and I think can pose a choking hazard for your LO if I rememebr correctly.

Listen to your instincts and your daughter's cues and signals to you.

And your right, pump output is not a good measure of supply, as a baby is way more efficient than a pump at removing milk. Your LLLLeader was right, 3 oz is good, and eating ever 2-3 hours is totally normal for a bf baby. My DD when she was 9 months still ate every 1-3 hours.
    Mirkka

Mama to DD born September 7, 2010, and DS born October 28, 2012 and Wife to DH July 5, 2008

We love and love

I nurse on demand, so *most* days she will nurse every three hours at least. Today, she has pretty much nursed every hour. So I don't know how to really add in a nursing session other than maybe just feed her an hour or so after I feed her when she doesn't seem hungry? Is that what you mean?

As for her reflux, she is on Prevacid and Erythromycin (sp?). The Ery is supposed to help empty her stomach because the milk she is spitting up is curdled, the dr says. She is also on BioGaia for an infant probiotic. Doctor also prescribed iron drops the other day which I haven't given her yet because I read some conflicting information about them on KellyMom. I asked her WHY would my daughter be growing so long and her head is growing well if she isn't gaining much weight. She said that she doesn't think the reflux is affecting anything because she is growing good otherwise.

Make sure you are going by the WHO charts for growth / weight: http://www.who.int/childgrowth/stand.../en/index.html

The advice to put cereal in the bottle is seriously outdated and dangerous advice: http://baby.families.com/blog/5-reas...-babys-bottle# Note: While it may be recommended for reflux babies, as the article says, it is a practice that is CLOSELY monitored by your doctor which yours obviously is NOT if you're going a month between visits.

Please, PLEASE get a new doctor. Heck, see if the doctor in the ER can take her on as a patient or at least recommend someone to you. You need to trust in your doctor.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mirkka View Post
    Your LLLLeader was right, 3 oz is good, and eating ever 2-3 hours is totally normal for a bf baby. My DD when she was 9 months still ate every 1-3 hours.
    And it can be normal for a while. DS2 turns 2 next week and he would nurse every 1-3 hours if I let him and he eats plenty of solids. Nursing for your baby is about more than food too.
    Beth

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Oh and when I say I pump out 3-3.5 ounces every three hours that is TOTAL, not per breast. Dr. makes me feel like this is an awful amount. I do not pump all the time, but I have had to pump a few times and every time I do pump it's basically that much each time.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sinngme2sleep View Post
    I nurse on demand, so *most* days she will nurse every three hours at least. Today, she has pretty much nursed every hour. So I don't know how to really add in a nursing session other than maybe just feed her an hour or so after I feed her when she doesn't seem hungry? Is that what you mean?

As for her reflux, she is on Prevacid and Erythromycin (sp?). The Ery is supposed to help empty her stomach because the milk she is spitting up is curdled, the dr says. She is also on BioGaia for an infant probiotic. Doctor also prescribed iron drops the other day which I haven't given her yet because I read some conflicting information about them on KellyMom. I asked her WHY would my daughter be growing so long and her head is growing well if she isn't gaining much weight. She said that she doesn't think the reflux is affecting anything because she is growing good otherwise.
    Why did she give you iron drops? Was your baby full term? Did they test her iron? In most cases a breastfed baby is going to get plenty of iron from your milk, and it is more absorbable than the type in drops or formula. They usually do blood tests for iron around 9-12 months because that's when her iron stores MIGHT start to go down. My youngest does take an iron supplement (Floradix) but only because his iron levels were low when they were tested at 18 months. Unless there is a reason to believe your baby has a deficiency, the iron drops are unnecessary.
    Beth