Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fed On Demand 5 Month Old NOT SLEEPING!!

Unhappy Fed On Demand 5 Month Old NOT SLEEPING!!

Please help! My daughter just turned five months old. At a little past 2 months, she started sleeping through the night... about a 7-9 hour stretch at a time. She continued this until just past 4 months. For the last month or so, she has reverted to waking up more frequently during the night. She is often up every two hours, sometimes even more often than that. If she sleeps for longer than 3 hours, I am thrilled. As you can imagine, this is very hard on Mama!

At first, I thought maybe this was just due to being sick (she had a minor cold), having a growth spurt, or teething. However, it has now been going on for so long that I doubt it is any of those things. During the day, she eats and behaves normally. She doesn't seem any more irritable than normal or hungrier than normal during the day.

Every time she wakes up at night, I feed her. I try to get her to eat from both sides each night feeding but sometimes, she falls asleep after one breast and after several minutes of attempting to wake her up, I just lay her down.

My question is this... Is there a point at which feeding on demand is no longer recommended? Should I stop feeding her when she wakes up and just try to soothe her other ways? I am afraid that I am spoiling her and that she is just nursing so that she can be with me rather than because she is hungry. How do I know if I am meeting her needs or if I am just being taken advantage of?

I hate the thought of leaving her in her crib to cry if she is truly hungry. I do let her remain in her crib fussing if she has just eaten, but never when she has been sleeping and just woken up.

What should I do? I want to meet her needs but I also want to get her back to her old sleep habits! Has anyone else experienced a baby who was sleeping great and then started waking up a lot more frequently? Any tips?

Default Re: Fed On Demand 5 Month Old NOT SLEEPI

My question is this... Is there a point at which feeding on demand is no longer recommended? Should I stop feeding her when she wakes up and just try to soothe her other ways? I am afraid that I am spoiling her and that she is just nursing so that she can be with me rather than because she is hungry. How do I know if I am meeting her needs or if I am just being taken advantage of?

I hate the thought of leaving her in her crib to cry if she is truly hungry. I do let her remain in her crib fussing if she has just eaten, but never when she has been sleeping and just woken up.

IMO meeting my LO needs meens that WHATEVER he needs is what I do. my DS is 8.5mo & we co-sleep so that he can BF through out the nite if he needs to, mostly now he latches himself on when he wants & sometimes i barley wake up if at all

What should I do? I want to meet her needs but I also want to get her back to her old sleep habits! Has anyone else experienced a baby who was sleeping great and then started waking up a lot more frequently? Any tips?

I have 5 children and EACH one was different I only had one that would sleep through the night before a yr old but i didnt BF long with her. IMO babys dont/cant know how to take advantage of things yet, they only know to act on what they need and sometimes they just need mamma close, i look at it like this... they were inside us all warm and snuggly for over 9mo. its guna take at least that long & maybe longer to not want that cosy feeling and IME they STILL want it @ 19,16,9,7.and 8.5mo

another note maybe teething, mine woke more when they got there first teeth breaking thru
    good luk, sorry i didnt have more deffinate answers for you... im STILL trying to figure it all out 19years later
    Im Jenn
    Mamma To:
    Kelsey BF 3 months
    Kenneth BF 3 months
    Blaze BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Bristol BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Raiden BF 15months & counting

We
    NIP BLS

In need of some

LACTIVIST

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*milkmaid28 View Post
    Please help! My daughter just turned five months old. At a little past 2 months, she started sleeping through the night... about a 7-9 hour stretch at a time. She continued this until just past 4 months. For the last month or so, she has reverted to waking up more frequently during the night. She is often up every two hours, sometimes even more often than that. If she sleeps for longer than 3 hours, I am thrilled. As you can imagine, this is very hard on Mama!

At first, I thought maybe this was just due to being sick (she had a minor cold), having a growth spurt, or teething. However, it has now been going on for so long that I doubt it is any of those things. During the day, she eats and behaves normally. She doesn't seem any more irritable than normal or hungrier than normal during the day.

Every time she wakes up at night, I feed her. I try to get her to eat from both sides each night feeding but sometimes, she falls asleep after one breast and after several minutes of attempting to wake her up, I just lay her down.

To the bolded part: Why is that a bad thing mama?
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

At five months, teething seems like a real possibility here. I would say, MOST babies don't sleep as well at four months as they did at two months.

But also, it's not "normal" for babies to STTN at this age. Most babies wake up at some point. Despite what you may read or hear from your friends, your daughter's behavior is actually normal for this age. Some babies do STTN at five months, but most do not. So you need to think about whether your expectations are in line with reality, you know? No one ever promised that moms would get great sleep. If your daughter sleeps well, you are LUCKY. If she stops sleeping as well around four to five months (again, teething and developmental changes around this time make many babies sleep more restlessly than before), then that's normal and fine!

As far as feeding on demand, I personally think that in order to breastfeed successfully, you should breastfeed on demand for the first year. After that, you can start to teach delayed gratification, and that's fine. But a five month old is 100% on breastmilk for nutrition. Not feeding on demand could adversely affect your supply and simply put - mean that your daughter's not getting enough to eat.

Plus, breastfeeding is an easy way to calm your baby at night - a lot easier than letting her cry herself into exhaustion, I think. And night nursing does keep your supply nice and high, so that you don't have to worry so much during the day.

I'd look at ways that you make a little night nursing easier on YOU. Because your daughter was such a great sleeper, there's a good chance that this is just caused by some teething, and in general, she will always be a good sleeper (waking up a couple times a night is pretty good at this age! my baby was basically ON my boob for 12 hours straight every night! ). So figure out what you need to do to be happier with this situation, and remember, things will keep changing! Sleep does not improve on a linear trajectory. There will be good nights and bad, basically all the way through childhood.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

There is no point at which feeding on demand is no longer recommended. However, at a certain point nighttime on-demand feeding does become more a matter of personal choice and less a matter of nutritional necessity. The point at which this transition occurs is not something that people agree on: some people say it happens very early, at only a few months old, whereas others say it doesn't roll around until the baby is about a year old, if not more.

One thing you can be sure of is that responsive nighttime parenting and night-nursing does not "spoil" babies. It can be an inconvenient style for the parent(s), but it is not bad for the baby.

Changes in infant sleep patterns are textbook normal. Many babies will sleep through the night for a period of time, and then revert of frequent night waking. Often increased night waking coincides with illness, teething, or new developmental milestones. I suggest taking a look at Elizabeth Pantley's book " The No Cry Sleep Solution" for a realistic look at infant sleep and some techniques for encouraging longer and more independent sleep without resorting to harsh cry-it-out methods.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"