Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding after mastectomy

Default Breastfeeding after mastectomy

Has anyone successfully breast fed after having a mastectomy? I am confident it can be done, and am looking forward to the challenge, but would like to hear from anyone with this experience!

Default Re: Breastfeeding after mastectomy

Sorry, I can't offer any BTDT advice, but I just want to say I think it's great you are going to make the effort!
    I would think it would definitely be possible as long as you have one breast with all the equipment in order. Since BF is supply and demand you should be able to do it.
    Good luck!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Hi there
    I'm assuming you have one working breast? Many women have successfully fed an infant with just one breast! Here's an article that can help you

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/surgery.html

Keep us posted!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Thanks for the words of encouragement and the article. This is exactly the information I am looking for. Great help!