Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Normal for production to vary?

Default Normal for production to vary?

Is it normal for production to vary on a daily basis? I typically pump 5 oz minimum (maybe 6-7) in the afternoons while at work and today I struggled all 3x to meet that 5. Should I be concerned?
    Addison Nicole changed my world on June 21, 2011
    12:33 pm
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"

EBF 11.5 months!

Sadie Lynn completed our family on August 7, 2013
    12:46 pm
    8 lb (even)

20.5"

Default Re: Normal for production to vary?

Maybe, maybe not. Sometimes that is just how it is. Could be AF. Could be your pump needs new membranes. If it still is down tomorrow, I'd start looking at things.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I agree. One day is possible. Two might be a problem. I have a dip with my period. Lasts about 2 days.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Also, sometimes you just have a bad day, and there's no real reason for it. But if it's days, I'd definitely trouble-shoot your pump. That's the most common explanation for sudden drop in pumping supply. New membranes often make a big difference. Good luck!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

when you guys say new membranes are you referring to the PIS? or the freestyle hands free one? reason being...i'm noticing a change in my production as well...i have the freestyle and was thinking it could be my pump too. except im not sure what i should be replacing? i have also used up my "call medela and get replacement pump" card. i'm not seeing any parts for the freestyle at babies are anywhere else....

When I pumped this morning I didn't get my usual and I know that was because I wasn't as full for some reason. I know my mornings vary on the water I drank the night before and i kinda slacked last night. But back to the membranes, I thought about changing them last week but they don't appear to be torn or anything, should I still change them? I might mention the membranes are about 3 months old... I haven't changed my diet or LO. I use fenugreek and lactation blend everyday and that hasn't changed. I don't feel like it could be A/F (she has yet to appear since birth of LO). LO does only eat typically from one side so should i go pump the other and hope there is enough back in there when she wants to eat again? I EBF at home and on the weekends and she eats 3x weekdays w/ me and 5-7 on weekends.
    Last edited by @llli*miniwo; October 13th, 2011 at 06:00 AM.
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"

EBF 11.5 months!

8 lb (even)

20.5"

They sell replacement Freestyle parts at BRU and Target.

That said, I have not had to replace mine, but I am not using the Freestyle every day; it makes me too sore.

For the little white PISA, Symphony membranes, I replace them every month. They can get teeny tears at the edges, so their suction isn't as good. 3 month old membranes could be the problem. If that doesn't work, a call to Medela is in order.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks Susan, I'll try changing the membranes tonight
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"

EBF 11.5 months!

8 lb (even)

20.5"

piggybacking on this post.....I usually pump 6-8 oz in the mornings, and on Monday I got like 8-10oz, but this morning I barely got 5oz. I haven't had a period yet, but could it be b/c of ovulation? I know that I have OS, but wonder what could cause the drastic dip. Maybe membranes need changed, if not b/c of ovulation. What do you all think?
    Last edited by @llli*rdh2378; October 19th, 2011 at 08:51 AM. Reason: punctuation
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

Hormones. I have days where I have a hard time meeting my typical, and then other times, I'm right on or over. The only thing I can come up with is hormonal shifts, even though I am not ovulating or cycling.
    Susan