Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Absolutely refuses please help.

Default Absolutely refuses please help.

I have offered my almost 10 month old a cup for two months now. I offer it through out the day and even leave it on the floor. Nothing I tried has helped. I fear the transition when she turns a year old will be just awful, more for my baby. I don't know what to do. I have stopped nursing her to sleep when she naps, I rock her to sleep now and she is doing really well with that. How do you stop nursing to sleep at night? I don't need to do it now I am just wondering. She is on solids and she is teething alot so maybe that's why she is still wanting to comfort feed during the day. Actually she did trick me. She wanted to nurse, well she sucked for 10 sec and was sound asleep, she just wants to be close. I am scared about what will happen when I say no more sorry.

Default Re: Absolutely refuses please help.

I have the same problem. My daughter will be 1 in a few weeks and still she refuses to eat, drink, etc. All she wants to do is to nurse! I NEED HELP!!!

Be patient, and don't force the issue. I have 3 kids, and my twins (they were bottle-fed) wouldn't take a cup until they were 18 months old. My singleton would only breastfeed and wouldn't take a bottle. He started taking a cup at 10 months, but only if it had juice in it!

Eventually, they do learn when they decide they're ready. When you decide to wean for real, do it slowly, and you'll be surprised how easy it is. Believe it or not, I was asking myself the same questions you are, only a few months ago! But, my son is 13-1/2 months, and we're 4 days weaned! The last two feedings (before nap & bed) were actually REALLY easy to drop, but I waited until I thought we were both ready.

If I were to give one piece of advice (aside from weaning slowly), it's that you don't set a date or have a strict weaning timeline. Just drop the feedings one at a time, as you feel your child is ready. It'll set you up for frustration when your child takes a step back and "adds" a feeding one day. Just realize that weaning will happen, and that it doesn't have to happen exactly when you plan.

Good luck!

Lisa

Thank you for your wonderful advice. I did stop a mid morning feed, it was more of a comfort feed for her, it was rough yesterday, I held her and walked around with her showing her I could give comfort in other ways. Today she cried just a little bit then was okay. I have just realized today that alot of her feeding are comfort feedings. WHich I know is common is bf babies.
    I know when she started BF it was so hard and I kept saying I have faith in you that we can do this, I just have to keep that faith through this and many other things that will happen throughout her life!!

Thank you again you have really helped me. She is not ready to wean completely and I am not ready either but I do believe we are ready to eliminate comfort feedings. Plus I will be starting work soon in two weeks. I get to bring her with me as I watch another baby.