Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: worried

Default worried

I really just needed a place to vent so I thank you all in advance. My LO had his two month doctor's appointment yesterday. The doctor says he is not worried but he is
    only in the 5th percentile for weight. I'm so worried that this is my fault--that maybe
    my milk supply isn't what it should be. I never leak like a lot of moms and sometimes my nipples don't seem very wet after he is done nursing. It just breaks my heart and I've been crying thinking that maybe I'm not giving him enough to eat. He was 7.2
    lbs at birth and was 6.9 lbs when we left the hospital. He was 9 lbs 11.5 ounces at
    the appointment yesterday. I've been monitoring his weight closely because he had a lot of trouble latching on when he was first born (I think partly because he was born
    a week early via c-section) and it seemed like he was gaining weight alright and he
    always has lots of wet diapers so I thought he was alright. He has started poopingonly once every 4 days or so but I know this is normal at this age. The 5th percentile just seems so small to me though. I'm thinking I should go to the lactation
    consultant again just to make sure I'm not starving him. I'm going to be devastated if I end up not being able to breastfeed him successfully. Thank you all for reading. I just need to get everything off my chest and want to help my sweet little guy.

Default Re: worried

He's gained three pounds in two months? That seems well within the range of normal weight gain to me! Check out this website - http://kellymom.com/babyconcerns/gro...ight-gain.html

The doctor is not saying that he is falling downward in percentiles, right? Look, not every baby will be in the 50th percentile. It's totally fine and healthy to be in the 5th %, if you're gaining weight and maintaining that curve. If your baby was failing to gain, or losing weight, I would be the first to tell you to get help immediately, but that's just not the case here.

I think your doctor is probably being overly concerned. I don't see any harm in going to a lactation consultant, but frankly, it sounds like your baby is doing fine!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Is this as compared to the FFbaby chart or the BF baby chart? If its the FF chart, your baby is doing better than you think
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Hmmmm.... I'm not sure. Does anyone have a link to a bf chart?

You can see it through the link I attached earlier - http://kellymom.com/babyconcerns/gro...wthcharts.html

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks!

I'm still feeling like something is possibly wrong with my supply. I might just be a paranoid new mom but it worries me that my lo is occasionally frustrated at the breast and I can never get all that much out of my breast from squeezing my nipple. I made an appointment with a lactation consultant. I really hope I'm still able to ebf.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*dcpmom View Post
    I'm still feeling like something is possibly wrong with my supply. I might just be a paranoid new mom but it worries me that my lo is occasionally frustrated at the breast and I can never get all that much out of my breast from squeezing my nipple. I made an appointment with a lactation consultant. I really hope I'm still able to ebf.
    I was going to mention before, that some women never leak and that's normal for them.

I hope your visit with the LC is reassuring. Just remember, with supply issues, a lot of it is a confidence game. Women who believe they have low supply, who supplement with formula, actually undermine their own supply. I'd say, the assumption should be that your supply is perfect, absent CLEAR EVIDENCE to the contrary. Where a baby has great diaper output, and is gaining weight, but just a small kid, there's really no reason to jump to the conclusion that supply is low.

At two months, "frustration" at the breast is more likely normal fussiness than low supply. I had OVERsupply, and yet, Joe was constantly thrashing around at the breast. Especially in the evenings, which tend to be a naturally low supply time for all women (even women with oversupply). So I don't see that as clear evidence of a supply problem at all - it's actually pretty normal for all 8 week old babies.

You can call me JoMo!

Thanks so much for the reassurance. That makes me feel better and helps me to keep a more positive attitude. I'll let everyone know how the appointment goes on Sunday.

I just wanted to thank everyone from reading and reassuring me that everything was alright with my little guy's weight. I saw
    the lactation consultant today and it seems like we are fine. He was able to get 2 1/2 ounces of milk and he's up to ten pounds.
    She said he has consistently been gaining about an ounce a day and he's just not a big baby. I probably didn't really need to go but I'm so relieved. Thanks again!