Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sedation for Wisdom Teeth

Default Sedation for Wisdom Teeth

DS is 22 months old. I need to have my wisdom teeth pulled tomorrow at 11 am and I am being sedated intravenously. The meds they are using is called Versed Fentanyl and Sodium Brevidal. I am told by the office that I shouldn't nurse for 24 hrs and to pump & dump. I am told I should verify with my peditrician. Where can I find this info online? I remember reading here about a website that has meds and if a nursing mom can use them?

DS doesn't nurse during the day. Only from 6 pm until morning time 6-7 am, about 4 times a night. When I tell him no tomorrow night - he is NOT going to be happy. How do you deal with a 22 month old that is addicted to the breast but he can't have it for 24 hrs? Please help!
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!

Default Re: Sedation for Wisdom Teeth

I'm not finding those exact names in Hale -- Versed and Fentanyl are separate drugs, and I didn't find one called sodium brevidal, but there's a Brevital that's used for anesthesia. For those three (Versed, Fentanyl, Brevital), it says they're all short acting and levels in the mother's system decrease drastically within a few hours after administration.

I'd recommend calling InfantRisk at (806)-352-2519. They'll be able give you more info specific to your situation.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Call Infantrisk. (Google it to get the number--our filter blocks the site, for some reason) I have a feeling that they will give you a much more manageable regime.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Thank you so much for the info! I called infant risk - they were so helpful!!

4 hours for Versed, few hours for the Fentanyl, and 2 hrs for the Sodium Brevital!! So I will be ok by evening!! Thank you again so much!!
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!

Yay! As a NICU RN, we give all of those drugs to babies in my unit. They are very short acting. Sounds like you will have no prob nursing that night. Good luck with the wisdom teeth! I do not envy recovering from that with a almost 2 year old. take care of yourself : )
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09