Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help fast! Please:)

Default Re: Need help fast! Please:)

You poor thing, so sorry to hear! Nipple pain can be so intense. I had mastitis about a year ago and it became so unbearable, I couldn't even shower. My advice, aside from seeing a doctor, is to try a therapeutic breast compress to alleviate some of the pain. I got this one online: http://www.showerhug.com/shop/index....&products_id=8 It helped to take the edge off (and is super soft and comfy).

okay, here's what you should try...based on my awesome lactation consultant from when i lived in ny... i cant promise it'll work, im having a similar problem as you, and i came to the boards here for answers! but anyway, you may have an infection in your nipple. try doing a saltwater soak for your nipple, use like a little shot glass, or medicine cup with warm water and a pinch of salt. soak for maybe 5 minutes or so, several times a day and/or before nursing. twice a day apply bacitracin on your nipple. if your nipple is infected, this may really help in 2-3 days. no guarantees, bcut it doesn't hurt to try, unless u make the water too salty!! good luck!

Oh honey, I totally know how frustrating this intense nipple pain can be!! Hang in there. You can self-treat and keep going. The women here are smart and awesome and you can do it!

I used lotrimin as well. Works great. Make sure you rinse off your nipple really good before your LO nurses again Hope you feel better soon.

Married to Josh 05/07/2005
    Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

**** 8 beautiful months and going strong ****

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mallory3kids View Post
    I used lotrimin as well. Works great. Make sure you rinse off your nipple really good before your LO nurses again Hope you feel better soon.
    If the lotramin has absorbed into the skin, there is no need to remove it. Wipe off any big blobs. It won't hurt your baby.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Well, finally some good news! After seeing 3 doctors and 2 nurse practitioners, I finally got a prescription for diflucan this week. Even after I started to show external symptoms, most of the doctors in town insisted it was not thrush and said I should just use vitamin E on it still. I found an AMAZING nurse practitioner at a clinic about 30 minutes from where we are living and she agreed it was thrush and agreed to follow Dr. Jack Newmans recommendations as far as dosage for diflucan. Within 24 hours of my loading dose I would say the pain was down to about 50% and now about 72 hours after the first dose my only pain is from the residual cracked nipple (which is healing). I am still treating my baby with gse and she still has no symptoms.

I have to say, the lactation consultant who helped me through all of this was awesome. She spent hours of her time at work and personal time checking on me and finding a medical professional to take my concerns seriously. If not for her I probably would have weaned at this point. I would rather give birth ten times with no epidural than go through that sort of pain again. She is so frustrated with the doctors at her hospital who did not help me that she is presenting my case as a case study to the hospital to try and get some changes and more education. I cannot imagine how devastating the treatment I received would be on a new nursing relationship, I am thankful that my daughter was as old as she was when this happened.

Anyways, thanks for all of the support and suggestions. I am so relieved that this little nightmare is coming to an end

Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!