Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help fast! Please:)

Default Need help fast! Please:)

I have been having severe nipple pain while nursing my 11 month old, after some research I am pretty sure it is thrush, even though I have no outward symptoms. I am having shooting pain even when not nursing, terrible pain while nursing, and now a constant burning feeling in my breast. My husband and I have recently moved to another state and when I tried to get an appt at the gyn office here they refused to see me for it because I am a new patient. They are literally the only gyn office in this very small town. I do not know what to do to get some help. Are there any natural remedies I can try? I am literally sitting at my computer crying as I type this from frustration and pain.

Default Re: Need help fast! Please:)

Can you get an appointment with a GP? A GP might just prescribe you the usual meds or give you a referral to the OB/GYN. The OB/GYN will likely see you if you have a referral.

You can use OTC thrush remedies, as well as GSE and/or genetian violet. But you may need a course of Diflucan, as itsounds like you may have it in the ducts as well. Try an OTC and get a hold of any doctor or midwife, does not have to be someone who delivers babies
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Also, RIGHT AWAY, start taking probiotics and put OTC lotramin ointment (clotraminazole) on your nipples. It might not be enough as your case sounds severe, but it may help prevent it from getting worse while you wait for more help. I dusted probiotic powder (acidophilus capsules, broken open) directly on my nipples after nursing, and it really seemed to help.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Well I finally got in to see a nurse practitioner today. She said everything looks normal so there was nothing she could do to help me. She called in the doctor because I started crying and he agreed and said there is no way it is thrush. I told them I though thrush could be just in the milk ducts with no outward signs and they told me no and refused to treat me with anything. They told me to take some vitamin E, which has nothing to do with anything as far as I can figure out. Their next solution was to wean my daughter right now. I do plan on weaning soon, but I don't think cold turkey is the way to go. I am now at a complete loss. I have a call in to my OB's office in our old town to see if he can help since I trust him and his staff. I guess I am supposed to just suck it up as far as the pain for right now

I really am in a tremendous amount of pain, I am not a baby about pain either, I delivered my daughter with no epidural, because I did not know I was in labor, I just thought it was a stomach ache, that is how strong my pain tolerance is. So for two medical professionals to essentially tell me I am crazy and should not be in pain is frustrating. Ugh! Maybe it will go away on its own?

That is so frustrating!! For some women, the external signs are pretty hard to see. If these folks have never seen you before, how would they know anyway? Most doctors don't know squat about thrush.

I would do the OTC treatment, starting right away. OTC antifungal ointment, probiotics, etc. To be honest, most of the Rx solutions often don't work as well as the OTC anyway. If you do the OTC approach and see some relief, you'll KNOW you have thrush, and could even go back armed with that information and just TELL them what you need, rather than asking.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Ugh, I am so sorry the doc and his/her staff dismissed you so cavalierly! If you don't get any joy from your ob, how about e-mailing Dr. Jack Newman?

(BTW, it is awesome that you thought labor was just a stomachache!)
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Here's Jack Newman's thrush protocol: I'd start that right away. http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-CP

You can call me JoMo!

I ordered a bunch of OTC stuff this afternoon thanks to the suggestions I got on here. I had to order most of it from Amazon because there is nowhere to buy it here (this town stinks, the next 5 months cannot go fast enough) but it will all be here tomorrow morning. I did buy lotrimin so I started on that already. Thank you so much for all of your help!

Yeah, the stomachache, I seriously went to my OB appt and said I had a stomachache, they decided to check my cervix and I was already 10cm. DD was born 24 minutes later, after 9 minutes of pushing lol.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kitkat77 View Post
    Yeah, the stomachache, I seriously went to my OB appt and said I had a stomachache, they decided to check my cervix and I was already 10cm. DD was born 24 minutes later, after 9 minutes of pushing lol.

You can call me JoMo!