Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Increasing milk after decongestant?

Default Increasing milk after decongestant?

It seems I've done something stupid, and I didn't even think about it. I've been miserable with a cold/allergies since the middle of last week. I've been taking sudafed and nyquil off and on since then, and now my supply seems to have really been affected. Today with my pumping I've only been able to get 6 ounces instead of my normal 10. The way things are going I'll probably get close to another 6 before bedtime.

I'm planning on pumping after baby nurses tonight, and drinking tons of water. The fenugreek/blessed thistle doesn't really seem to be helping this time. Anybody have other ideas I can try? We're at the 10 1/2 month mark, and I really want to keep going to 12 months at least.

Thanks!
    Jessie

DH Mike 3/15/03

Riley Patrik 10/30/06

Gavyn Oliver 12/1/10

Default Re: Increasing milk after decongestant?

I would say keep doing what you're doing... try to add in some extra nursing and/or pumping sessions, if you can... since you are already doing the fenugreek/blessed thistle, maybe try something like mother's milk tea, or add in oatmeal for breakfast... Are you taking any hormonal birth control?
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Nope, I knew about that one, just not the decongestants. I'll definitely do the oatmeal, and probably swing by the health food store for the tea. The fenugreek and blessed thistle just seem to be upsetting my stomach and not doing anything for the supply, but maybe the decongestant was working against them.
    Jessie

DH Mike 3/15/03

Riley Patrik 10/30/06

Gavyn Oliver 12/1/10

Mama, IMO supplements are nice, but they are not a substitute for frequent and complete milk removal using either a nursing baby or a pump. So before looking for some sort of magic pill or tea to do the work of increasing supply, just sit down with the baby or the pump and nurse/pump as much as possible.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It will come back after the meds wear off and you recover from the cold. So nurse as much as you can!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I have added a pumping session within a couple of hours of Gavyn's bedtime, and I'm trying to nurse him whenever we can. But now my boobs are super sore! Here's my current schedule:

6:30am: Wake up Gavyn and nurse
    9:00am: Pump at work (I'm getting between 3 and 4oz here instead of my typical 5)
    11:30am: Nurse Gavyn at daycare
    1:30pm: Pump at work(getting around 4oz)
    4:00pm: Pump at work (lucky to get 3oz)
    5:30pm: Nurse Gavyn at home
    7:30pm: Nurse Gavyn before bed
    10:30pm: Pump (I've gotten around 4oz)
    11:30pm: Gavyn's been waking due to teething, I nurse and he goes back down
    2:30am: Nurse
    4:30am: Nurse

Does this look like a decent schedule? Any ideas for tweeking? Thanks everybody!
    Jessie

DH Mike 3/15/03

Riley Patrik 10/30/06

Gavyn Oliver 12/1/10

It looks good to me mama! The only thing you might consider... you could try pumping RIGHT after you nurse him down to sleep, say at 8pm, and then pump one more time right before you go to bed at 10:30 or 11pm. Otherwise, it looks to me like you are nursing and pumping as much as you can, without waking up during the night to pump, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone, especially since you are already waking during the night to nurse.

ETA: I also wanted to say... I know it really sucks to have to pump on the weekends too, but to try and get ahead on milk production, you could do a few of these pumping sessions on the weekends too, for example, first thing in the morning after you nurse the baby, and then at night right after he goes to bed.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.