Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nervous about bottles

Default Nervous about bottles

I think I just need some reassurance...

I've been EBFing our 7 week old son and it's going great. I used to think that people who told me that BFing your child develops a really special bond were sipping the hippie milk, but it's totally true, I really love it.

Tomorrow my husband and I are going to try feeding him some of my expressed milk from a bottle in order to introduce a bottle to him so he's ready for that when I go back to work in a few months, and in case we want my MIL to watch him.

I thought I'd look forward to being able to be a little independent from my LO by expressing and having bottles for people like my husband and my MIL, but to my surprise I'm totally NOT looking forward to having someone else feed him, and I'm kind of jealous of the idea. I'm also worried that he'll like the bottle more and will reject breastfeeding.

How likely is that? I'm sure I'm worrying over nothing, we have the special slow flow nipples from Medela for 0-4 month olds so I think they're designed to mimic the real thing as much as possible.

Am I being silly in worrying that the introduction of a bottle -- something we don't plan to do much of until he's in daycare in a few months -- will impact his attachment to BFing? I figure of all the people in the world who'd understand this, it'd be you ladies on this forum!
    First-time mom to Markus, August 17, 2011.

Default Re: Nervous about bottles

Hi mama! I understand your concerns and worries. I worked full time from the time my daughter was 12 weeks old until she turned one. (I got laid off right after she turned one and I had pumped all that time at work. But anyway...). So she got 4-5 bottles a day while I was at work. And she's a total boobaholic - still. Don't stress it. It's a good thing for your baby to learn to take a bottle - and don't be surprised if he doesn't like it much at first. I had to leave the house in order for my daughter to take a bottle.

In fact, I've never even given her a bottle. A great way to make sure you keep up your nursing relationship is to nurse when you are together. My rule was that I nursed her when I was with her - no bottles. When your baby does get bottles stick with slow/newborn flow. My daughter still had then when she turned one. I never changed that at all.

It's natural to feel apprehensive. I felt the same way about bottles, solids, cow's milk and on and on.

Here's a good overview you can share with your partner, MIL and day care provider: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I feel the same way. My lo is 6 weeks and on wed. I had to go to the chiropractor and I thought now would be a good time to get a bottle. I am going to be going back to work at 12 weeks so he is going to have to take bottles. While I was making the bottle for my husband to give I was crying my eyes out. He ended up giving him some of the bottle but my LO wasn't exactly thrilled with the idea. I still need to find a bottle that he likes. So far we have tried the nuk but the slow flow nipples seem to drip fast when I hold them upside down and my husband said he was kind of choking and milk was pouring out of his mouth. Anyway sorry for the ramble. I just wanted you to know your not alone and I really don't have any good advice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    Hi mama! I understand your concerns and worries. I worked full time from the time my daughter was 12 weeks old until she turned one. (I got laid off right after she turned one and I had pumped all that time at work. But anyway...). So she got 4-5 bottles a day while I was at work. And she's a total boobaholic - still. Don't stress it. It's a good thing for your baby to learn to take a bottle - and don't be surprised if he doesn't like it much at first. I had to leave the house in order for my daughter to take a bottle.

In fact, I've never even given her a bottle. A great way to make sure you keep up your nursing relationship is to nurse when you are together. My rule was that I nursed her when I was with her - no bottles. When your baby does get bottles stick with slow/newborn flow. My daughter still had then when she turned one. I never changed that at all.

It's natural to feel apprehensive. I felt the same way about bottles, solids, cow's milk and on and on.

Here's a good overview you can share with your partner, MIL and day care provider: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

You're not silly for feeling that way! I did too when I went back to work. I found out that he likes the breast way more than the bottle. He does take bottles and doesn't seem too upset by them but he LOVES to be cradled and nursing. It makes me feel special because he knows I am the only one who can do that with him and I feel like it had made our bond even closer.

I thought at first working was awful because I could not stand to leave my LO at home and miss moments to bond with him. However I learned that spending time away from him only made the moments I was with him more special. Keep that in mind when you go back to work because it really helped me adjust.

July 27 2011

I totally felt the same way when we first tried to give our baby a bottle! She was 5 weeks and she took it, and I felt so weird and jealous of the bottle. Then, because I'm staying at home this whole year with her, we ended up not giving her a bottle again for several weeks. When we finally tried again, at around 3 months of age, she refused it. And has refused a bottle ever since (she's 6 months now). So... definitely insist on giving a bottle now, and try to offer one a few times a week until you have to go back to work, otherwise you might find yourself in our situation... we missed the window of opportunity! Needless to say I can never be too far away from her now (not that I want to, but it kind of makes things more complicated if I have a doctor's appointment etc).
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

Thanks for the input, everyone! I'm glad to know I'm not alone, and thanks for the stories to reassure me. I pumped today just before I knew my LO would be hungry and then dad fed him. He took the bottle just fine, actually...and then when he was done he wanted to eat more so I ended up nursing him and he wanted to comfort nurse for an hour, hahah! I was only able to express 1.5 ounces today so I'm guessing that just wasn't what he usually gets in a feeding (since I know pumping is less efficient).

Jeez I def wouldn't want to miss my opportunity with the bottle. That's good your baby took it so well. Which bottle did you use? I tried the nuk and he didn't really like that one. Any recommendations on bottles?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11

Kate, I used the Medela bottles and the slow flow nipples that come with them.

Hi, I LOVE the Breastflow bottles by First Years. Our son was a failure to thrive baby and had to come early 5 weeks ago. He was only 5 pounds at birth and his mouth was too small to get a good latch. These bottles not only work just like the breast, but they even helped teach our LO to latch on. Our hospital staff and even his doc were VERY impressed when we showed the bottles to them when we asked for him to be fed the pumped milk from these bottles only. After only three days, he was nusing like a pro and still takes pumped milk from these bottles with my husband with no problems. He is now a solid 8 pounds and doing wonderful .