Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Double weight by 4 months??

Default Double weight by 4 months??

Are all babies expected to double their birth weight by 4 months? I read that somewhere recently and didn't know if that applied to both breastfed and formula fed babies.

My son was born at 8lbs, by two months he was 13lb 4 oz, but then weight gain slowed and he was only 14lb 11oz at four month checkup. My ped wasn't concerned because he had jumped way up in height, but I still worry a bit. (I had supplemented with formula some in the beginning, but had stopped that by 3 months.)

It doesn't help that there are so many women around me that had babies at the same time and they keep asking me how much he weighs, then telling me about their huge 18-20lb babies that are off the charts. Why does everything have to be a competition!!??

Default Re: Double weight by 4 months??

As long as your baby is growing and meeting milestones, and seems content, etc, I wouldn't worry about time to double or triple weight. I think both of mine doubled their birth weight by somewhere around a year, and their doctors were pleased with that.

ETA: Okay, I went back and looked at the baby books. My daughter doubled her weight at 8 months, my son at 6. I was wrong. But, still, not 4 months! And my son was absolutely round at that age.
    Last edited by @llli*duckpond; October 19th, 2011 at 07:43 PM.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Sounds just fine to me. Babies really do follow totally different growth patterns. For example, DS1 didn't double his birth weight until around 6 months, but DS2 doubled his by about 3 months. Both were EBF, they are just different. Your baby sounds like a healthy boy.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

if your pedi thinks your baby is healthy, and if you can see your baby is healthy, then that's what matters.

now, the worst thing is to start comparing your baby with other people's babies. babies are individuals... try not to let that get to you. inevitably there will be differences on one thing or the other.

this might cheer you up... read number 7:

http://pregnant.thebump.com/new-mom-...-the-park.aspx
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

The thing too is that it's easier in theory for a 5 lb baby to double than it is for a 10 lb baby! My 8 month old has not doubled his birth weight and I'm concerned because he presents with other issues like constant vomiting etc but not because of weight alone.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Every baby is different. One of mine did, but another didn't. It's OK.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I have heard that too-a baby must deouble their birth weight before starting solids and this should usually ahppen between 4-6months. My dr did not tell me this, other mothers did.

My son did not double his birth weight by 6 months and we started solids (he probably doubled by 7-8 months).

My twins have doubled their birth weight by 5 months, but they were also smaller (and like their milk more ) But they are only around 25% on weight. go figure. My ped did not recommend starting solids until 6 months (and we are in no rush, solids are a pain IMO).
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

It's a rule of thumb. Often accurate, but not always. As Jenna said, a 5 lb baby will probably double his birthweight. A 10 lb baby may not! As long as the baby is healthy, there's no reason to worry about some arbitrary weight target.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Okay, thanks everyone! He's a happy healthy little boy, but I get so fixated on numbers and what others think he should be. He's doing great milestone wise and seems to be eating plenty. I think they make up these rules just to frustrate us!!