Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 Month Old Never Seems Satisfied!

Default 2 Month Old Never Seems Satisfied!

Hello fellow breastfeeding moms!
    My lil girl will be 2 months on the 26th of october. I am exclusively breastfeeding her, but after every feed, no matter how much she feeds, she never seems satisfied, she always seems to want more! She's fussy for milk all day long it seems. Even when i pump and feed her from the bottle, she still seems to want more! I doubt she's really that hungry, could it be that being on my breast gives her comfort and she just always wants to be there? I really need help and advice as i feel like i'm breastfeeding literally all day long! Today i gave her a 5 oz bottle and after finishing it all, she still seemed to want more!!! What to do fellow moms!!!!

Default Re: 2 Month Old Never Seems Satisfied!

Some babies like to nurse for comfort Also, 2 months is prime time for a growth spurt.

A couple of questions...

- Are you nursing on demand?
    - Are you timing your nursing sessions? A lot of times doctors and nurses tell us to switch sides after a certain amount of time, but if we do that we aren't making sure that baby is getting the fatty hindmilk. Look at one breast as dinner and the other as dessert. Make sure the first is empty before offering the second And sometimes we don't want dessert and that's fine too
    - How many wet diapers are you getting in a 24 hour period? You should be getting at least 5-6 sopping wet diapers in 24 hours. If you are getting less than this there may be a milk transfer issue.
    - Do you have a good latch? Your nipples should look like pencil erasers when your little one unlatches. If they look like a lipstick (either both sides or just one) you may need a deeper latch to make sure there is good milk transfer.

Also, it's common for babies to drink more from a bottle because it's easier. It's also faster so it takes longer for baby to actually get that full feeling.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    : Your nipples should look like pencil erasers when your little one unlatches. If they look like a lipstick (either both sides or just one) you may need a deeper latch to make sure there is good milk transfer.
    I did not know this! You may have just helped me out so so so much, as my nipple comes out looking like lipstick ugh wish the nurse would have told me that, she checked her latching and said it was fine. Thanks
    Samantha
    Mom to 5 and latest addition born Oct 14th 2011, Cloth diapering, baby wearing, co-sleeping, breast feeding, non circing mama. Married to my best friend!
    ****Please excuse any errors prob NAKing****

Pencil eraser nips are ideal, but as long as nursing is pain-free seeing wedged or lipstick-shaped nipples shouldn't be an issue, though it might be a good idea to talk to a lactation consultant and see if maybe there's something in the latch that could be improved.

Jenn asked some great questions. I have just two more:
    1. Do you have a sling? It could be that your baby isn't fussy after feeding because she's hungry, but rather because she doesn't want to be put down.
    2. How many bottles is your baby getting per day? Sometimes babies fuss because they want to feed from the bottle- it's easier to get milk out of a bottle and a lot of babies come to expect the "stuffed to the gills" feeling they get from bottle-feeding.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks so much for your reply guys! Really appreciate it!
    Jen, here's the answers to your questions!
    I was nursing on demand before, but now I usually try to give atleast 2 hours before every feed, even if she's crying, because she tends to spit up ALOT! so i don't want to end up overfeeding and causing more spitting! I did use to time my sessions, and she'd feed atleast 15-20 minutes on one breast and not so much on the other, but now i just unlatch whenever i feel she's done, or when she falls asleep, which is another issue, she tends to fall asleep, and then as soon as i unlatch, she wants more. And sometimes i even wake her up, but when unlatched she still wants more, it's like all she wants when she's awake is milk! And she doesn't always take both breasts, so if at one feed she feeds from the left, the next feed she'll take from the right, but when i give my right, i also give my left because my right doesn't have as much milk as my left!
    I'm definitely getting really wet 5-6 diapers in a 24 hour period.And yes she does have a good latch!
    @Mommal-Even when i'm holding her, she's fussy, even if she's in the swing at times she's fussy! LIke i said, it's like she alwaaaaaaays wants milk, so frustrating! The doctor told me that she's just comfortable at my breast and most of the time she's probably not even feeding, she's just using you as a pacifier, so i tried giving a pacifier and she won't take it! And she only gets 1 bottle a day from when i pump, 2 max on some days!
    thanks for your help guys!
    Last edited by @llli*mommyaz; October 20th, 2011 at 05:49 AM.

You cannot overfeed a breastfed baby. When the baby is hungry, she sucks actively and that sucking pattern generates a rapid milk flow. As soon as she is no longer hungry, her sucking slows way down and milk flow either slows or stops completely. I would immediately go back to feeding on demand, even if that means nursing more frequently than you think a baby "should" eat. Believe me, babies know much better than adults do when they are hungry/thirsty. They don't watch clocks, and neither should their mommies.

So, what about the spit-up? As long as it occurs without evidence of pain, spit-up is a laundry issue, not a health problem. And it's not necessarily caused by overeating. Spit-up is reflux. The spincters that keep stomach contents down (i.e. prevent reflux) are weak in young babies. When a baby spits, it is often because those sphincters are weak, not because the baby is overfull. So, again, spitting up: generally not a health problem. But if your baby seems uncomfortable when she spits, then the reflux may be contributing to her desire for frequent feedings. Swallowing helps keep stomach contents down and milk neutralizes stomach acids. It's another reason to feed on demand: if your baby is troubled by acid reflux, frequent intake of small amounts of milk helps to treat it.

From your other post about milk production, it sounds like you have an abundant supply, particularly in one breast. This link covers lopsidedness and what to do about it: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/lopsided.html. Basically, you want to increase stimulation to the underperforming breast. The easiest way to do this is probably to start all or maybe just most feedings on the right side, topping up with the left, and to allow unrestricted comfort nursing on the right.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Nurse on demand. Don't make baby wait. They can work themselves up so much that the spitting up is a bigger problem. Besides, spitting up is NORMAL -- all babies do it. Unless it is flying across the room or makes baby seem painful, it is a laundry problem, not a baby problem.

It's totally normal for babies to want to eat all the time. Even my fourth baby, whom I feed via a cleft feeder, spent his first 2-3 months eating. I spent most of my time holding a feeder in his face.

Some babies are just fussy too. My first and third cried all the time. I quickly learned that nursing in a sling made them happier.

Talk to your doc about reflux.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks for your help guys, but DD isn't just spitting up, she spits out milk from her nose and screams and looks like she's in pain, so that's something i will def. speak to her pediatrician about! So that's why i wonder if i'm overfeeding her, but it seems like you can't really overfeed, it's probably a reflux issue!

My first LO spit out milk from his nose and it scared him (and me!), so he'd get worked up and cry. He grew out of that before long and we never had to do anything to treat it, because he didn't seem to be in pain and he was gaining just fine. It could be normal or there might be a reflux problem, so definitely talk to her doctor about it.

I agree with the PPs about feeding on demand. I know it feels like you're nursing ALL THE TIME - I feel that way too! You will get used to it and baby will grow out of the need to be attached to you all day.

I would hold off on giving her 5 oz bottles, as that's probably a little too much for her right now. As long as she's gaining fine and has plenty of wet diapers, I wouldn't worry. Just make yourself available to her as needed.
    Stay at home mom to my 2 boys:
    R - born 4/20/08, nursed for 20 months
    G - born 8/6/11, EPd for 4 months, until he refused the bottle!
    Loving CDing this time around!

Yeah, 5 oz is too, too much. My 9 month old, who has never been able to really nurse,mhas never taken that much. He eats 4 oz at a sitting at most. ALL babies will take a bottle even if they aren't hungry, because once it gets in there, they have to swallow or drown.

The first 3 months are called the fourth trimester for a reason Baby has never been away from you. She needs time to adjust. Constant nursing is one way baby adjusts.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!