Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Spacing out feedings at 6,5 months?

Default Spacing out feedings at 6,5 months?

My LO is almost 7 months. Up until now she's always been an avid nurser: 10-12 times a day, sometimes more. Every 2 hours during the day and for most of the night, except for maybe one longer interval (3 or 4 hours).

In the past couple of days, however, she's started to space out her feedings. Now most feedings are 3 hours apart, with a few of them clustered (2 hours) and a few more spaced (4 or even 5, at night). Now it's 7-9 feedings a day total.

From what I can tell her pee and poo output haven't diminished (always LOTS of completely clear pee. And lots of poo).

My boobs, however, don't know what's going on and have been so full and lumpy, borderline engorged (I've been block-nursing in blocks of 3 or even 4 hours, and now it's getting a little better). In the beginning I kept offering every 2 hours as usual, and instead of refusing the breast (as she wasn't hungry) she would start sucking, give me a letdown, eat a tiny bit and stop. I think this has contributed to the oversupply.

Is this normal for this age? Will my boobs still make enough for her with fewer feedings?

PS. I started solids three or four weeks ago, but the spaced feedings only began two days ago, so it doesn't seem immediately related. I only give one solid meal a day, and it's less than an ounce of food: either applesauce, squash, or more recently squash + chicken. Could it be the chicken??? She likes her solids but still seems more crazy about BM.
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

Default Re: Spacing out feedings at 6,5 months?

Brooke, thanks for the reply! I guess she's been so steady all this time, I thought I wouldn't have to go through big changes until teething (which she doesn't show imminent signs of).

I just wish my breasts would catch up with her. The oversupply improved but I'm still getting engorged in the morning, and it rarely ever feels like she empties my breasts fully. Since I'm prone to clogs, this makes me a bit nervous (I even had a couple minor ones that went away in one day). I don't know what else to do so my supply will adjust. She still pees and poops so much, so I think she's getting about the same amount she used to, but my breasts are making more. ???

As for offering the breast before solids, when I do... she often falls asleep and doesn't eat her dinner!!! (Right now I'm only giving her food for dinner; all the rest of the day is BM only). She usually nurses well after eating though, or at least it seems like it.

It's a little disconcerting. Right now my right breast is overly full with a hard area. Not tender, so I don't think it's clogged, but it's definitely engorged. She last nursed 3 hours ago, but it wasn't a full session, it was her comfort dreamfeed, which she does once or twice every night. So I don't think she's full, yet she won't nurse! I know she will later, but by then both breasts will be too full... sorry for complaining so much, but I always hear about how my body will know how to make exactly what she needs, and it's not the case yet...

thanks for the encouraging words...

i love my little one

Time. That's what it will take for the supply issues to even out.

With my first, I had an OS until he was at least 10 months old. That's when I stopped leaking, anyway. I might have still had too much milk, but that's when it didn't just leak out! For some of our bodies, it takes more time than for others. Be patient.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Susan, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. Going by the books I was starting to feel like there's something wrong with my milk-making system. My breasts are so unpredictable. Just last week I woke up and it seemed like I was making less than usual. That lasted for all of one day. Then, boom!, lots of milk again ever since. And with baby's new longer intervals, even more OS.

If it weren't for my tendency to get clogs, I wouldn't be so anxious. But it seems that my breasts get more sensitive and cloggy with time, too. Is that normal? I always thought it was the other way around.

i love my little one

Try some soy lecithin, and cut all saturated fat from your diet. And look into wool nursing pads. I was horribly cloggy with my first, and I still get clogs now.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!