Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk supply and peeing frequency

Default Milk supply and peeing frequency

Mamas, What is normal peeing frequency for a one-year old? I'm freaking out because my DS is rather suddenly (last 3-4 days) wetting far fewer diapers ( 4-5 cloth during day) than he was, especially during the daytime. This baby was a champion wetter, getting out 7-8 or more diapers during the day.

Also, is it normal for babies this age to not pee after nursing? This kid used to pee on me pretty reliably soon after BF but now he goes 3-4 and even 5 hours sometimes without peeing, even if he's nursed a few times. I've also started commuting to work on a more regular basis so I'm wondering if its affecting my milk supply. (He gets his solids when I'm gone and these days, water with a spoon because he's hit or miss with a sippy cup).

Other issues - he's battling a stuffy/runny nose (I hear it when he's sucking) and its unseasonably hot around here. And interestingly, he's peeing about the same as usual at night - 2-3 really soaked disposables - when he gets up to nurse.

They say 5-6 soaking wets during exclusive BF but can't find numbers for toddlers. Panicking a little here - any inputs or advice?
    Mom to DS 9/30/2010
    We love and . These days its more likely DS doing the

Default Re: Milk supply and peeing frequency

In the absence of any other worrying signs, I think I would assume that his bladder is growing and his control is increasing.

ETA: Is the color of his urine still good? That's a better indicator of hydration than frequency, once kiddos get bigger.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    In the absence of any other worrying signs, I think I would assume that his bladder is growing and his control is increasing.

ETA: Is the color of his urine still good? That's a better indicator of hydration than frequency, once kiddos get bigger.
    This is what I was going to suggest. He may have better bladder control now. Are his diapers showing darker urine or is it still pretty clear?

Thanks mamas and sorry for disappearing (we were travelling the following week and didn't get a chance to log back in)! His urine was light to colorless but there was an issue with his nursing because once the cold went away, his diaper count did seem to increase.

Overall though it varies, he's having fewer diapers since he turned one and it just might be bigger capacity.
    Mom to DS 9/30/2010
    We love and . These days its more likely DS doing the

Regarding the sippy cup, my DS always did better with a straw cup. He can "latch on" and suck from it, more like nursing.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.