Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting Fenugreek...Questions

Default Starting Fenugreek...Questions

So, I am going to start taking Fenugreek to try to increase my supply. My DD has been fussy at the breast for awhile now and I just do not think that I am keeping up with her demand. I DO NOT want to FF. And, I would like to have a stash in the freezer. I do not have enough supply to pump currently.
    I just bought some Fenugreek tablets at walmart. 610MG. Will these be fine to take? How many a day should I take? If they help my supply do I have to keep taking them to maintain it or will feeding my DD and pumping maintain it?

Default Re: Starting Fenugreek...Questions

The fenugreek tablets will be fine to take. You'll know you're taking enough when your urine and sweat smell like maple syrup (really!). If fenugreek works for you, you typically do not need to take it forever, provided that the baby is doing a good job of nursing. A nursing baby maintains supply better than anything else!

Fussiness at the breast does not mean low supply as long as the baby is producing adequate wet and poopy diapers and is gaining weight appropriately. If you really are having supply issues, use the pump. IMO, nursing and then pumping with a good pump (NOT a manual or cheap single electric) is better for stimulating increased supply than any supplement on the market.

ETA: From the last time you posted about this issue, I thought you were is a good, more confident place when it came to nursing and supply. What changed, mama?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm a newbie BFing mom so I don't have a ton of advice but I was wondering what kind of pump you are using and why you are saying you don't have enough supply to pump? How much are you actually getting if you pump after nursing? I think pumping 5-10 minutes after nursing is helpful to stimulate supply even if you are getting nothing, or maybe pumping after LO goes to bed. I had supply issues directly following a hospital visit when DD was less than a week old, and I was able to build it up through pumping (pumped every 1-1/2 hours after nursing, at least 10 times a day, for a solid two weeks), Fenugreek, Motherlove blend, Mother's Milk tea, and oatmeal every morning. Good luck!
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

Sigh. I second guess myself a lot. There are a few things that are making me think something is still up. She eats fine during the day from both breasts. But, starting around 4 or 5 she will only eat for maybe 3 minutes from my right side. She'll suck 4-5x, pull off, scream, latch on, repeat. We'll battle like this for maybe 10 minutes and then I finally give in and switch sides. Then she will only eat from my left side for maybe 5 minutes. Her next feeding is exactly the same way. I can get her to eat longer on her last feeding of the night, but only because she is really sleepy by then. Could I just have less milk by the evening?
    Another thing that has happened since my last post is my sister basically told me she thinks I do not have enough milk for DD. She said that a 3 month old should not be eating every 2-2 1/2 hours, and suggested that after I feed her I supplement with formula (not gonna happen!) or EBM. My mom and 2 sisters think that DD is not content for very long after eating. But, really I think she is just a very demanding little girl. She knows what she wants and is not going to be happy any other way. They aren't around her all that much since I live an hour away from them. She really is a very happy fun baby. Not to mention she is a total mama's girl, so she is only ever happy with someone else holding her for a short time. I did give her an ounce of EBM after one of her fussy feedings a few days ago and it made no difference in the length of time between her feedings?
    The last thing is just me being crazy lol. My best friend had a baby 7 weeks after I had DD. Right from the get go she had a TON of milk. She basically drowns her DD haha, which I know really is not what you want. Her DD is only about 6 weeks old now, and I realize that maybe her body just hasn't adjusted to her babies needs yet. But, I never ever got engorged. It took over a week for my milk to even come in (had to supplement with formula for a few days). Even when DD started sleeping through the night at 2 1/2 weeks I didn't really get engorged. Maybe it's just because everyone I have ever talked to about BF had oversupply issues so that is what I am expecting? DD's wet diapers are fine. She poops ever 2-3 days still. I don't know. I've always been an anxious stressy person The more I write the more I think I am just creating a problem in my own head.

I use an Ameda Purely yours electric pump. It is pretty old, but works really well. My breasts have never liked the pump. The only time I ever get anything pumping is first thing in the morning. I did have that routine when DD was first born, since it did take over a week for my milk to come in (I was told this was because I had a scheduled c-section, absolutely no labor at all).

A while ago I took Fenugreek because I thought I had a low supply and it made DS really gassy and upset. Make sure you watch out for that if you do try it.
    July 27 2011

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alyviasmomma View Post
    Another thing that has happened since my last post is my sister basically told me she thinks I do not have enough milk for DD. She said that a 3 month old should not be eating every 2-2 1/2 hours, and suggested that after I feed her I supplement with formula (not gonna happen!) or EBM.
    That is a giant load. My ten month old still eats every two hours during the day most of the time. We've never supplemented with formula or EBM, and He's fat, happy, and meeting his milestones. No disrespect to your sister, but she clearly does not know what she is talking about. It's not uncommon though; I remember several people telling me that my son should go down to 6 feedings a day around four months. That clearly never happened, and he eats when he needs to eat. While many babies do not space out their feedings, the do shorten the length of their feeds quite a bit and short feedings are normal too. I'm not sure why so many people think that all babies should be pigeonholed into some standardized feeding pattern, but they do and it is nonsense. I would find a way to politely tell your sisters and your mother that your daughter's feeding pattern is normal and they don't need to worry about it.

As long as diaper output and weight gain are good, then I wouldn't worry about your supply. Fussiness at the breast, especially in the evening is normal, and does not necessarily indicate a supply issue. We went through a spell where I would need to walk around while nursing my son during the late afternoon because he would scream at the breast otherwise.

It's so easy to second guess yourself when you don't know exactly how much your baby is getting, but everything you describe sounds pretty normal to me. Just relax and enjoy your daughter.

I think all moms, especially first-time moms, have lots of anxieties. What did that sound my baby just make mean? Is she breathing okay? Is she growing right? Is that poopy diaper the "right" color? Are her shoes too tight? Is she too warm/cold? Sleeping/eating/peeing/blinking enough/too much? Etc. So some anxiety is normal, and protective of the baby. But sometimes a mom gets fed anxiety by a well-meaning friend or family member, and that's often where trouble starts. When Grandma says "Oh, your baby SHOULD be sleeping through the night by now" or Aunt Sally says "Oh, your baby SHOULD be going x number of hours between feedings" or your MIL says "If you eat chocolate and breastfeed, your baby will grow up to be a serial axe murderer". All of a sudden the mom starts to second-guess herself, and forgets that before grandma/aunt Sally/MIL called all she could think was that her baby was growing delightfully and the pediatrician was pleased!

2-2.5 hours between feedings is entirely normal throughout the first year. If your family members are more accustomed to formula-fed or scheduled babies, that might surprise them. If they keep harping on it, just smile, tell them that you are happy and the baby is growing well (it often helps to say "the pediatrician thinks we're doing everything just right!), change the topic, and remind yourself that YOU know YOUR baby best. Not them.

Evening fussiness is also entirely normal. At the end of the day, babies get tired and cranky, and at 3 months your LO probably doesn't really know how to make a graceful transition from being awake to being asleep. So she nurses and fusses, and fusses and nurses, until finally sleep just overwhelms her.

Obviously you had a bit of a rough start, and I know that can mess with your head even after everything is going really well. Just focus on the diaper count and your general sense of your babying a happy, content little person who loves her mommy and loves to nurse, and forget about the clock and about what everyone else is doing/not doing.

ETA: Both my girls nursed every 1-2 hours during the day throughout their first year, and did not sleep through the night. They are NOT small kids, and I have o lack of milk. My 17 month old is taller and heavier than the average 2 year-old.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

This is exactly why I came here, I knew I would get the advice and support that I so need right now. My oldest sister breast fed her first son for 6 months, and her twin boys for 3 months. She always tells me how she stopped BF the twins at 3 months because "They were STILL eating every 2 hours and that is just not normal!" I completely understand how with 2 babies it could be overwhelming. I do not mind feeding her that often. Doesn't bother me at all. Not to mention that she does sleep 6-8 hours straight at night so she is missing feedings then. Our pedi said to be prepared to feed her more during the day since she sleeps so well at night. My mom did tell me that all her kids ate that often and not to worry, She seems to be more supportive. And, my dad even asked me very early on, when she was maybe 2 weeks old, if the evening fussiness had set in yet. Alyvia is meeting all her milestones thus far. She is so fun. I just need to stop stressing and enjoy my baby girl. The first time mom anxiety is so true! I cannot imagine not having her in her pack and play right next to my bed ever. I am still going to take the fenugreek. Just to see what happens. Couldn't hurt. But, I will watch her for any new gassiness or fussiness. Thanks mamas!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alyviasmomma View Post
    T I just need to stop stressing and enjoy my baby girl. The first time mom anxiety is so true!

I am so with you!
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!