Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How often should an 8 month old nurse?

Default How often should an 8 month old nurse?

Mine nurses at 4am, 6am, has an expressed bottle at 10am, I express at 1pm, nurses at 4pm and then nurses at 7pm. Is that enough?! Just read a post that indicated it might not be

He's just under the 25th percentile line and has followed that steadily x

Default Re: How often should an 8 month old nurs

My almost 8 month old nurses around 3 a.m. and 7 a.m. He then gets 4 ounce bottles at daycare at 9 a.m., 12 p.m., and 3 p.m. He then nurses around 5 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Depending on how the night goes, he sometimes nurses again around midnight. He also gets a bit of solids at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m.

I think all babies are different, but that does seem pretty spaced out to me. Is he getting a lot of solids that make him too full for milk?
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Also, here is a website to help tell if the baby is getting enough milk. It's a little harder when they're older, but this might help.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html

If he seems satisfied and he's not losing weight, it's probably fine!
    ~ Megan

Hmm thank you, I might try and get an extra feed in there somewhere. He does like his solids, he looks forward to them and seems happy afterwards but I could always try and feed him after his tea maybe? I don't want to get into the habit of feeding after lunch as he'll be in nursery and I won't be able to keep that up. Do you express for the bottles your little one has?x

When I give him solids at home, I always try to nurse him first. At daycare, they give him the milk bottles before the solids. I want to make sure that he's getting more milk than solids at this point... but I'm not really sure if that is right or not.

Yes, I express the bottles that he gets at daycare. I have a double electric pump that I use during the work day.
    ~ Megan

Has his schedule changed? Or has it been consistent? Just because you read it may not be enough, it may be enough for your lilttle one! I am nursing twins (almost 6 months) and they only nurse 5-6 times a day, or a combination of nursing/ bottles when I am working that is still 5-6 times a day.
    Are you seeing plenty of wet diapers?
    It looks like you give a bottle at 10am and nurse at 1pm? What if you just nurse at 10am?
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

His schedule hasn't really changed, he cut out one feed a few weeks back but that's all. He has plenty of wet and dirty nappies. I give the bottle because it took me 4 months to get him to take a full bottle (or indeed take one at all) and when he goes to nursery he needs to be used to taking it, that's why I don't nurse at that point, though it's a royal pain! x

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mek View Post
    When I give him solids at home, I always try to nurse him first. At daycare, they give him the milk bottles before the solids. I want to make sure that he's getting more milk than solids at this point... but I'm not really sure if that is right or not.

Yes, I express the bottles that he gets at daycare. I have a double electric pump that I use during the work day.

I just wanted to say that I have ALWAYS heard that this is the RIGHT thing to do until baby is at least 1 year.

First time, SAH mom to my precious daughter born October 2009
    Nursing 27 months and counting... I still love nursing so much and am SAD thinking the end can come anytime now...