Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Latching On Problems...Maybe?!

Unhappy Latching On Problems...Maybe?!

I'm having slight issues with my newborn and breastfeeding. This is my second child and I thought, even though it's been about 6 yrs since my daughter was born, that I'd have this whole thing down pat. My son is now two weeks and three days old and he's still hurting me while we breatsfeed. My nipples are extremely sore and the lanolin isn't really helping. His doctor suggested that I get nipple shields to help with the latch on. The first time I used it, it worked. By the second time, it doesn't help with the soreness. I also was told to get a "Boppy" pillow, it helps with the positioning and all, but not with the pain. He bites, pulls, and he's a VERY strong baby, and he eats more than the average newborn because he's a really big baby. I'm at my wits end on what else to do. Please help!

Default Re: Latching On Problems...Maybe?!

Do you have thrush?? My ds was 10 pounds when he was born and it seemed that he was hungry all of the time. I was in a lot of pain the first 4 weeks and I didn't know what was causing the pain. I ended up going to a LC and I was told that I had thrush. My ds and I were put on medication and the pain was gone w/in one week! Just a thought.

Is your ds opening his mouth wide when he is latching on? I had a hard time getting my ds to open his mouth wide enough, which caused a lot of pain. Make sure that he has majority of the aereola in his mouth when he nurses. This made a huge difference for me.

I know that it is really hard when you are in a lot of pain when you are nursing your lo, but just remember that this too shall pass. You can get through this. I know you can. Keep us posted .
    Mommy to three amazing little ones...Noah {4/12/06}, Leah {3/21/08}, and Isaac {6/18/10}. Loving every moment!

Yes, in fact, at his last appointment they gave him something for his thrush. What do I do for me so that it doesn't linger? Should I talk to a lactation consultant?

Are you putting the medications on your nipples also? And yes, I think a LC can always be more help. Good luck and hang in there.

If baby has thrush you should be treated too. What is the baby on? I was given nystatin liquid for my DS. But you need an anti-fungal cream for your nipples. Dont do what I did...I waited too long to get my own medication...and the thrush entered the milk ducts. So I had to get diflucan, a pill. Nip it in the bud as fast as you can. I wish I had, because now it seems to be lingering.

Unhappy Re: Latching On Problems...Maybe?!

Okay, I went in to get treated last Thursday and they gave me nystatin to put on my nipples. I feel the same, like there hasn't been any result. I was reading about the nystatin online and it was said that nystatin doesn't always work. I use it as it was prescribed to me and my baby, and it doesn't seem like it's working for him, either. He still has the thrush all on his tongue. I clean off his tongue and it seems like the thrush just wants to cling on it. I'm not getting any relief when he first latches on each and everytime he feeds. Is there anything that I can do about relief from the pain while the medication is "doing it's thing" (even though I don't think it's even doing that)?

Question Re: Latching On Problems...Maybe?!

Can I also use grapefruitseed extract or acidophillus along side of the nystatin?

We also have thrush and were given nystatin. My baby is 6 weeks old and had it at 3 weeks. I was sad to see it on her tongue this week. Are you going to try to put the antifungal cream on your breasts? Do we need a prescription for that? what kind? And will it affect the baby?