Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What would you do?

Default What would you do?

I *think* I have thrush (see this thread). Called my OB and she just called me in a script for nystatin and diflucan, but I see her tomorrow morning for my 6-week post partum check-up and I was going to have her look at it (doesn't look like much anyway except it is red and blotchy). My symptoms are skin itchyness (BAD!) and bright pink nipples. No signs of anything in my son, but if OB confirms infection then I am going to have his ped treat him too).

I am not sure if or how long I have had it...I was on major antibiotics during labor and after (IV and oral) and so was my baby, but that ended 4 weeks ago. I have had bright pink nipples for a few weeks now, they don't really hurt per se but are sort of sensitive. I thought that was just from him pulling on them during feeding, but now I wonder if I haven't been fighting off thrush for a few weeks. The really bad skin itch has only been for the last week or so.

Ok, so my question is this...I have been pumping to build up my freezer supply for going back to work. I have about 80+ oz stashed that took me the last 5 weeks to build. I read that when you have thrush you shouldn't freeze milk because of reinfection...so what do I do? Do I have to dump it all?? Since I don't really know if/when I was infected it is a bit heartbreaking to think about having to dump it. Is there anything else that can be done?

Also, this is sort of a side thing...but Candida is ever present and your body naturally fights it off (or keeps their numbers down), so if we fight off this infection now is there really a big risk or "reinfection" if it is already present anyway? I know this is more of an immunological question, but still it makes me wonder why dumping is so important.

Default Re: What would you do?

Unfortuately, no, there is nothing you can do to save the milk to use for feeding later. Freezing doesn't kill the yeast. Heating doesn't either. You might get away with using it in baking later, but I am not 100% sure of that. However, that makes sense to me, as bread is not full of active yeast, but I'm not sure of the variances in survivability between C. albicans and baking yeast (I threw my bottle out, so I don't know the species, or I'd look it up)

Yes, it is always on your body, but when you feed it in infected expressed milk, you are giving your baby a huge, huge dose, and that many yeast bodies just overwhelm the system, so to speak, by outnumbering the normal numbers of bacteria and yeasts present, and move in and colonize. And that is a huge, huge risk for reinfection.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

You don't really know if the older milk is actually infected, though. Right? When did your symptoms start?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks Susan, you have been so helpful with several of my questions already!

I guess the safest thing to do then is dump all of it. (boo...especially since it is the colostrum milk). So my next question is when should I start freezing a stash again? A few weeks after there is no sign of infection? I have to keep pumping to feed my baby since I am working, so do I just toss the extra pump of the day that was my surplus?

Thanks Paige. No I am not sure if it is infected. To be honest I am not positive I am infected now...but I have some of the symptoms of it (not all). I am treating it though, because the itch is killing me!

Hard to say when my nipples got pink, because we had some latch issues early on and they were damaged. So my poor nips really havent ever been normal since beginning breastfeeding. The horrible itch/rash like condition has been here about a week.

It's really hard to be sure either way. This is when it's so hard to decide....dump it, or not dump it. Because yeast just does not hold up a sign and say, here I am. Life would be so easy if that were the case, like if the milk turned yellow or green or something. Of if there was a test....(I suppose, if you know someone at a lab, you could get them to look at it under a microscope and stain for yeast... Man, I am a geek).

If you can feed it, you can save it. I'd be more wondering if I wanted to save milk saved from a round of medication, kwim, and I probably wouldn't want to save milk from early in the treatment. I'd use that the next day, and then over time, you should have less and less yeast in the milk, to where at the end, there's just enough for your system to manage on its own.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Darn it. I suppose I will wait to see if 1) my OB agrees it is thrush, and 2) to make sure the treatment makes it better and it isnt some other sort of rash. If it responds to treatment, then I will probably just dump it all to be safe.

Oddly enough, I am a researcher in biology (though not a mycologist by any stretch!). I have access to scopes myself...and I imagine you would just look for hyphae? Hmmm might have to try it tomorrow.
    EBFing, CDing, BWing, co-sleeping mamma to Bennett (9/5/11).
    Excited to be a BM donor through Indiana Mothers Milk Bank (http://www.immb.org/).

Look for peanuts I would think heat fixing and a DiffQuik stain would work I have never tried it, and I have access to a lab!
    Susan

peanuts? ok, so since you seem to know a lot about it, why the fixing and staining? you dont have to fix and stain to see hyphae from other fungi (thinking of doing blue cheese wet mounts with my undergrads...)
    EBFing, CDing, BWing, co-sleeping mamma to Bennett (9/5/11).
    Excited to be a BM donor through Indiana Mothers Milk Bank (http://www.immb.org/).

Because its a liquid. I fix and stain blood samples to differentiate blood cells. Might make it easier to see in milk. Yeast has a very characteristic appearance when I do a skin scrape, but I can't see them without the stain.
    Susan