Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How many times a day?

Default How many times a day?

I keep reading conflicting things:

I know you start with just one meal a day with the solids, right? When do you move to 2 meals and 3 meals a day? One book I read says to do solids for one meal for a week. The next week, move to 2 meals. The 3rd week, move to 3 meals.

Thoughts? What do you all do?
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

Default Re: How many times a day?

I stayed at one meal for more than a week...but that was just us. I think the schedule you mentioned sounds a little fast, and it also sounds like a lot of solids very fast. I would go slower, personally. Even with a tiny amount of solids starting, my LO got very constipated, so something to watch out for.

I think it depends on how your LO is acting. If he's really into it, then go ahead and move into 2 a day. Its really just however you feel that day. Also, I think its not set in stone that you have to do the same every day...starting out sometimes we would skip solids for a day or two, and some other days we would do two meals a day, it was just based on reading her cues and if she was interested (like in my meals for example).

Just wanted to add that prior to a year, food is really more about having fun, getting the new tastes, textures, feels, learning how to swallow it and move food around, etc. so its ok if you dont do a regimented solids pattern of x amount of meals for x weeks, then moving up, etc. just have fun with what you have, etc. Also before a year I think its recommended to offer bm first, and then solids, and as you add those other meals in there sometimes baby just might not be hungry on one day, and moreso on another.

eta: what concerns me about the schedule you mentioned is the lack of flexibility, just wanted to clarify that, b/c IME, my LO on some days wanted no solids, some days 1 meal, somedays 2 or 3, contrary completely to what I thought she should want/be doing. So keep that in mind as you move on whatever schedule works out for you and your baby
    Last edited by @llli*oakdryad5; October 17th, 2011 at 03:11 PM.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

I think the advice on solids tends to be tailored to moms who are either formula-feeding or are planning to wean at or before 1 year of age. These moms want to get their babies off the bottle/breast as fast as possible, and the advice to feeds babies "meals" is designed to help these moms replace bottle/breast with solids.

I personally start with a little taste of solid food once a day. Until around a year, breastmilk alone meets all a baby's nutritional needs, so there's no need to push the baby to eat a lot of them, especially because solids are not as nutritionally complete or as calorie-rich as breastmilk. So think in terms of the baby trying a teaspoon or two of solids. And you want the solids experience to be all about exploration and play. So let the baby explore different tastes and textures, and explore the solids with both mouth and hands.

As the baby gets more comfortable with solids, you can progress to including him in family meals. Sit him in his high chair at dinner time and let him play with a bowl and a spoon and some solid foods. Good starter finger foods for babies include things like smashed green peas, shredded soft-cooked meats, cheerios, mashed sweet potatoes, mashed cooked carrots, etc. (If the baby doesn't have the pincer grasp necessary to handle a squashed green pea or something like it, he's probably not ready for solids yet.)

Oh- and remember that until a year you want to nurse before offering solids. Fill baby up on milk, and reserve solids for exploration of new oral and motor skills.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you. This makes me feel better. I feel the pull not only from the random books but from good-intentioned friends and family. My mom nursed me until I was a year (and that was a big deal when I was a baby in her experience). She still had me eating only one meal of solids well into my 7th and 8th month. I think I rushed with my first baby who was eating 3 meals a day by 4 months and a week.

Thank you!
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

I'm just starting this a bit at 6 months and am feeding baby 2 x a day. I was going to do one meal a day but honestly she doesn't really eat much of anything yet. I just set her at the table for lunch and dinner and let her watch us. Then I give her a little vegetables (baby food). She nibbles just a bit off 2-3 spoons right now so probably not even a teaspoon. So now it's just getting used to tastes so I figure 2 x a day is fine as she's just sampling Once she starts actually eating I'll probably pay more attention to the recommendations.

Don't over think it I am pretty lax now, but I was totally a thinker when I started with my daughter. I was so confused. When I decided to just do what I felt like I felt much better I think when she was 6 months I started with once a day MAYBE, but a lot of times I didn't offer at all. So it was more like once a week. Then it would be 2x a day because I worked and we did BLS and I didn't want anyone else giving her food yet. I forget why. Eventually I'd offer everytime I was eating.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Maybe I am the oddball here, but we very quickly moved from offering 1 solid meal a day to multiple meals a day. He has been eating 5 times per day for a couple of months already. This is all baby led, so he chooses to eat anytime we put food in front of him. He also chooses to eat anytime he finds something that looks somewhat edible on the floor, too like a runaway cheerio, or the pages of a book. And he still manages to drink as much pumped milk at daycare as he did pre-solids and nurses 3-5 times per day on top of that.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

April 2014