Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: any more thoughts

Default any more thoughts

I have a friend who had a little girl last week. she is in pain, bleeding, scabs and cracked nipples when she is nursing. She says she has to bite her fist everytime her daughter latches on. She has been told that the latch is fine and her baby just "bites" when she eats. This is what I sent her. Any other thoughts?

I saw the breastfeeding post. Get a second opinion on the latch....I would suspect that she isn't getting enough aerola into her mouth- if that is correct- check her frenulum. If both are fine- then check for thrush or an infection. especially since your sugars were off. (mom is a type 1 diabetic)

it should not be hurting you like that.
    you can also check how you are positioning her while you nurse her. If all that is fine and she is just aggressive at wanting a let down- then hand express for a few seconds first to get a let down stimulated. Text me if you want help. It may be whats best for Kat but you don't have to hurt like that!
    Jaxon (07/13/08) weaned at 27 months
    Alexa and Braxton (11/18/10). My NICU miracles.

http://swallomlife.blogspot.com

"This above all: to thine own self be true" -Hamlet

Default Re: any more thoughts

Oh, man. You know, with her being diabetic AND her sugars have been off, I think thrush might just be a given right now. I was thinking thrush already before you got to the part where she is diabetic.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Flat nipples? I'd try the shells to protect and help heal the cracks and draw out the nipple to make it easier to latch on. Also lansinoh to try and heal them up. If the latch is fine now it could just hurt because shes not healed?
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I don't think a baby with no teeth who bites could alone cause all the cracking, bleeding, pain, etc.... maybe she could go see an LC to have her latch and positioning evaluated?
    Or, get her to come to an LLL meeting so someone can watch her.
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

My baby was biting in response to OALD. It took forever to figure out what was going on, and I was in a lot of pain for weeks after he was born. I started nursing reclined and he stopped biting and the pain went away. I didn't have such severe bleeding and scabbing, so it may be different but I thought I'd throw it out there.

I hope it is something as simple as that. Seeing an LC is a good idea.

I have OALD and OS, too! Maybe that's the root cause.....
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

My baby bit down because of posterior tongue tie and OALD. Can she have an ENT check him out? Has she tried nursing reclined, or pumping off an ounce then feeding after the first gush? That's what I did when my son was really little and couldn't cope with the spraying milk lol.