Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weight gain

Question Weight gain

Today I went to the doctor for his 2 month shots... He weighs 13pounds 14 oz. He is 2 months and 1 week. When he was born 7.8 do you think I'm over feeding him? I'm exclusively breast-feeding, although he spits up constantly.

Default Re: Weight gain

It's my understanding it's impossible to overfeed a breastfed babies. They spit up. One of the joys of motherhood.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Really cause the doc said your overbearing that's why he is spitting up and gaining weight

Not to worry. You can't overfeed a breastfed baby, because the baby is in charge of the feeding, not you. When he's no longer hungry, his sucking will slow down and become gentler, and the milk flow will slow way down or stop. This is totally different from the way bottle-feeding works, where the adult is in charge of the feeding and can easily and unintentionally encourage a baby to take just a little more and finish a bottle. Also, when a bottle-fed baby is done eating, but still needs to suck for comfort, the bottle continues to deliver the same rapid flow of fluid.

It's very normal for breastfed babies to gain weight extremely quickly in the early months. Many gain a pound a week during the early weeks/months. But as a breastfed baby becomes mobile, and starts putting calories into motion instead of packing them on as fat, weight gain slows way down.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

with PPs.
    I only wish my DS was gaining like that! Check out this link http://www.who.int/childgrowth/stand...boys_z_0_6.pdf
    Your son is doing great, and so are you mama!
    Mamma to: DD (02.2010) and DS (08.2011)
    We cloth diaper and are new to baby-wearing.
    Learning to trust my instincts and turn off my scientifically-trained brain!

That's good to know... First time breastfeeding ..

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amurillo0725 View Post
    Really cause the doc said your overbearing that's why he is spitting up and gaining weight
    Your doc probably isn't familiar with the normal weight gain pattern for breastfed babies. When you compare breastfed and formula-fed babies, the breastfed ones generally gain weight more quickly in the first half of the first year, and slower in the second half. If you measure a breastfed baby on a chart that was developed using data gathered on formula-fed babies (and most docs still use these charts), the baby will appear to grow "too fast" during the first 6 months, and then "too slow" during the second 6 months. A lot of moms get a huge amount of flak about how their babies are being overfed during the initial weight gain period, and then are scolded for underfeeding once their babies start to drop down the percentiles as they turn into toddlers.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"