Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Creased nipple = bad latch?

Default Creased nipple = bad latch?

Hi mommas!

My baby is 6 days old (first time mom) and I'm still trying to figure out the breastfeeding.

I notice that when she unlatches, my nipple has a crease in it. Is this a sign that the latch is bad? It doesn't hurt when she nurses, but I had a case of badly damaged nipples before my milk came in (I had no idea what I was doing when still at the hospital) and I would really like to avoid having that happen again.

Thank you!

Default Re: Creased nipple = bad latch?

Im a first time mom and what I've read is the latch is incorrect it the nipple has a crease or line down the middle or it looks like a tube a new lipstick. Baby needs to open wider and take more of the areola. I am having this same problem. Good luck!

Dear mamas--:congrats and I never thought I'd bf or get the hang of it, but I'm tandem nursing my 19-mo and my 1-mo. Truthfully, I have a nipple tip that looks like new lipstick but it doesn't hurt. My theory is if baby is getting milk and it doesn't hurt, then it's alright.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

As long as it doesn't hurt and your baby is getting milk and growing, there's little need to worry. The creasing and wedge-shaping will probably go away as your babies grow and their mouths grow, enabling them to attain a deep latch every single time.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    The creasing and wedge-shaping will probably go away as your babies grow and their mouths grow, enabling them to attain a deep latch every single time.
    Yes, this happened to me. I had a crease and wedge for the first couple of months, but it is just because she had a tiny mouth. I even had a lactation consultant come see us in the beginning, because I also had cracked nipples, and she told me that the latch was actually good--it's just that my baby's mouth was too small! I never had cracked nipples again, and baby definitely got A LOT of milk, although my nipples were a bit sore (nothing unbearable). Then maybe at around 2 months her mouth got big enough and the wedge and crease improved, and I never felt any soreness or discomfort again. I went: AAAH!.... it was only a matter of time!...
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

I have exactly what you are talking about, but only on one side. It's latching issues. However, I cannot seem to correct the latch unless I change to a completely different hold. I am assuming that as my DD gets bigger, it will improve. It doesn't hurt, but I am sore at times. Unfortunately, I have to work on it, as she isn't completely emptying that side. Good luck. Just keep working, and as your LO gets bigger, it will get easier!

I am so glad to see this thread. I have the same lipstick-like nipples and they told me at the hospital that it was a bad latch, but it stopped hurting after the first few days so I just let it be. They are still lipstick shaped now after 6 weeks, but I domt really have pain and they arent damaged at all. So glad to hear it is normal! and a major bonus that it might get better as he gets bigger. Yeah!