Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do you get the breastmilk to mix in?

Default How do you get the breastmilk to mix in?

I have what I'm pretty sure is a dumb question - but, when you start solids and you're doing cereals and you're supposed to mix in breast milk or formula, where is the breast milk coming from? Do you pump before the nursing and before the cereal?? After you nurse but before feeding cereal?? Do you pump for a week's worth of cereal? I don't want to mess up my supply by creating an over supply. Is that even possible?

It's been 6 years since I did this with my first, and I honestly can't remember what I did. Maybe I mixed it with water?

Thanks!!
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

Default Re: How do you get the breastmilk to mix

hows old is your baby?
    You can use water or juice. Some moms skip cereal all togehter.

I would doubt you would create over supply by pumping 2-3 times a week. What I do is to keep a few oz in a bottle in the fridge and use that as needed. Probably 3 pumping sessions per week whenever you fit them in
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I'm preparing myself . . . I'm a planner. He's 5 months.
    And, ok - I get that pumping a few times would work. Great. Thank you!!

Here's what I did, I didn't use cereal, so I'm not sure if its equivalent. But we started solids on things like sweet potato, and at first it was waaay too thick and made her gag, so I hand expressed into a small cup (usually right after a feeding), maybe a few hours before solids time and just left it on the counter, and when it was time I just poured it right in to water it down. I'm not sure how much cereal to milk ratio there is, but if you're just starting out I imagine not eating a lot of cereal, this might work for you. You could avoid pumping if you do it this way I think. But of course this wouldn't work if you were having someone else feed him the cereal...but if you're on your own doing it, it might be easier?

i agree with andrea...cereal isn't obligatory, you could start with other foods if you wanted
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Thank you! This is very helpful! I'm going to start with cereal just for the purpose of "practice." I KNOW he won't have trouble, so I don't plan to use cereal on its own very long - eventually, it will mix in with other things based on an awesome make-your-own-baby-food book I found.

Again, thank you!