Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vitamin D supplementation

Default Re: Vitamin D supplementation

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jkpixler View Post
    I'm surprised no one has suggested this but go outside more with your LO. Talk to your pediatrician first but the main reason people suffer from vitamin D deficiency is because people no longer go outside like they used to. The main source of vita D comes from the sun. My daughter needs vita D but refused to take them from day one so I looked for alternatives. She needs a minimum of 20 minutes a day in the sun or 2 hours a week. It doesn't have to be direct sunlight either but as long as her arms, legs and face are showing she soaks it all up. Once they start solids you have to worry about this much less. No diarrhea from the sun either and the way the world intended us to get vitamin D. Good luck!
    i would love to just do this, especially b/c i was born and raised in brazil where being out in the sun is a part of our lives from the start. but we live in the east coast and it has been so rainy, and now too cold...
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Going outside works...if its not too cold where you are It is too chilly out to go out with just a T shirt here, and winter is rapidly approaching ().
    yep... too cold and rainy already here...
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

I would get your levels checked before you supplement with high doses. I was taking 2,000 during my pregnancy and found that my levels were way too high. And FWIW - I live in the NE. Spend minimal time outside and when I am outside, I am wearing longsleeves - even in the summer.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I live in NJ & my pedi says she has NEVER had a baby with Rickets(the disese you get from lack of Vit D) in her practice.
    Mommy to Christopher 02/26/11 my miracle baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*charadawn View Post
    I live in NJ & my pedi says she has NEVER had a baby with Rickets(the disese you get from lack of Vit D) in her practice.
    The vitamin D supplement isn't just to prevent rickets, vitamin D is beneficial for a lot of reasons. Here are a few LLL resources on the topic:

http://www.llli.org/release/importancevitamind.html
    http://www.llli.org/nb/nbjulaug04p124.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/faq/vitamin.html
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Samiha View Post
    The vitamin D supplement isn't just to prevent rickets, vitamin D is beneficial for a lot of reasons.
    This is absolutely correct. Great links.

Additional info from the Mayo Clinic:

"The major biologic function of vitamin D is to maintain normal blood levels of calcium and phosphorus. Vitamin D aids in the absorption of calcium, helping to form and maintain strong bones. Recently, research also suggests vitamin D may provide protection from osteoporosis, hypertension (high blood pressure), cancer, and several autoimmune diseases."

I don't worry too much about vitamin D supplements in the summer when we get outside every day, but it becomes more of a concern as the days get shorter, colder, and cloudier in my little corner of the world.