Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D supplementation

Default Vitamin D supplementation

A couple of questions on Vitamin D supplementation...

Our pedi has told us to give our LO vitamin D. She's 6,5 months old. Pedi prescribed D-Vi-Sol. I gave the first dose yesterday and today she had diarrhea. Questions:

- Anyone else experienced a similar reaction when giving D-Vi-Sol to their babies?
    - Any suggestions of other brands/supplements? I don't want to give this again to her. On top of the diarrhea, it tastes HORRIBLE.

TIA!
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

Default Re: Vitamin D supplementation

I agree the D-Vi-Sol drops taste horrible . Most BF babies really only need the vitamin D. These are the drops we use http://www.amazon.com/Carlson-Labs-N...8806435&sr=8-1 They are tasteless, and you only have to give one drop.

I agree. We like the Carlson drops too.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

To my surprise, instead of supplementing my son, our pediatrician put me on the vitamin D. I take 4000 IU per day. (Mine is also by Carlson). If switching to a different brand of drops doesn't alleviate her diarrhea, maybe ask your pedi if you can supplement yourself instead of LO. kellymom mentions this method here: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitami...-d.html#mother

Thank you for all the suggestions! I will try the Carlson ones, they definitely look gentler than the D-Vi-Sol. The D-Vi-Sol has so many ingredients in it, and my LO has a super-sensitive digestive tract.

Kaylex, that is so interesting! I will ask my pedi if the Carlson doesn't work.

i love my little one

did they test your LO & find a Vit D deficency? If not, then I suggest your read the Dr. Sears info on Vit D & just skip it all together. Take your baby out in the sun with no sun block instead.
    Mommy to Christopher 02/26/11 my miracle baby

also, no matter how much Vit D you take only a small amount ends up in your breastmilk
    Mommy to Christopher 02/26/11 my miracle baby

I'm surprised no one has suggested this but go outside more with your LO. Talk to your pediatrician first but the main reason people suffer from vitamin D deficiency is because people no longer go outside like they used to. The main source of vita D comes from the sun. My daughter needs vita D but refused to take them from day one so I looked for alternatives. She needs a minimum of 20 minutes a day in the sun or 2 hours a week. It doesn't have to be direct sunlight either but as long as her arms, legs and face are showing she soaks it all up. Once they start solids you have to worry about this much less. No diarrhea from the sun either and the way the world intended us to get vitamin D. Good luck!

Going outside works...if its not too cold where you are It is too chilly out to go out with just a T shirt here, and winter is rapidly approaching ().
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*charadawn View Post
    did they test your LO & find a Vit D deficency? If not, then I suggest your read the Dr. Sears info on Vit D & just skip it all together. Take your baby out in the sun with no sun block instead.
    they never tested her, but i got this advice from our pedi now that we moved to the east coast. when we lived in cali the pedi told us not to worry b/c of ample sun exposure

i love my little one